Wednesday 21st September


Advertisement
Published: September 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today was a 100 mile drive from Mammoth lakes to Yosemite National Park. Firstly we had to put yet more fuel into Ellie, she certainly is a thirsty girl and we didn't want to run out going over Tioga Pass. As we swung out of the petrol station there was an almighty bang, crash and high pitched beep from behind inside the van. What the bleep bleep was that!!! Luckily it was only the smoke alarm falling off the ceiling, which the resident mechanic was able to fix. We continued on our way, via two scenic rides suggested in our Lonely Planet Best Californian Drives kindly provided by our daughter. We called in at the Visitors Centre at Mono Lake, another excellent and informative centre, where we could see the famous tufas. These are strange growths protruding from the water formed when calcium bubbles up from the subterranean springs and combines with carbonate in the alkaline lake waters.

Then it was up the Tioga pass to the entrance to Yosemite National Park. We had already purchased our pass valid for 7 days at the Visitors Centre, so we were able to proceed into the famous park. The drive was awesome with fabulous scenery, although spoilt a little by the fact it had now started to rain!! We reached Tuolumne Meadows and had some lunch listening to the torrential storm outside. Three days ago we had to have full air-conditioning on to enable us to eat lunch inside because it was so hot!!

It eventually stopped,so we set off again calling at various view points as we reached them. The drive across the park along highway 120 is 56 miles of Scotland on steroids. It is closed from November until May due to heavy snow and there are beautiful views around each bend as the road snakes its way at elevations from 6200ft to 9945ft. We really wanted to see some giant sequoias trees, but unfortunately Mariposa Grove, where the most famous ones grow, is closed for renovation for 2 years. There are a few in Tuolumne Grove so we tried to stop there, but the car park was full. We then tried to find another entrance, but had to give up on that and return to our original plan. This time we were lucky and bagged a spot and completed the 2 mile hike down to see a few of these magnificent trees, including one that arches over the road.

Then it was time to exit the park and find our next campsite just 5 miles from the park. Members of our group have reported seeing two more bears, a coyote, a red crested woodpecker, Californian robins, which are apparently 17 ins long and a vivid blue Blue Jay. We must try harder as all we have seen are chipmunks(Charlie), squirrels, eagles and elks.

Wifi here is only available at the lodge a ten minute walk away so updates may be delayed. The phone signal is non existent.

Tomorrow we have a guided tour of the park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.405s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb