21st May 2012


Advertisement
Published: May 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was an early start, breakfast at 7am, checked out of the Best Western and hit the road at 7-45am. Very cloudy start this morning but still reasonably warm.

Uneventful escape (except for sat nav confusion) from San Mateo this morning but then across the bay using the San Mateo bridge and causeway (5 miles long). Then up into the hills and ominous cloud.

Dropping down out of the hills onto a plain the sun came out and we were soon into 75 degrees farenheit.

Stopped in Livermore at Hetrz rental to extend driver insurance cover for Bob and Dinah.

Then onto Oakdale for a coffee stop and refuel of the car at the amazing price of (65pence per litre equivalent) .

Then swapping drivers to Bob took off for Yosemite National Park.

The temperature slowly rose as the day went on and bythe time we arrived at the park entrance the temperature had risen to 91 degrees farenheit, thank goodness for the car air conditioning. Through Yosemite National Park with stunning views of El cap and Half Dome, and out the other side to find our Hotel for the night, Yosemite Lodge Hotel in El Portal, just 2 miles outside the Park entrance.

There was supposed to be a fuel stop in El Portal but it was still being built so we stopped for some lunch at the General Store.

We then did a recce of the main Yosemite Valley stopping to watch climbers (with binoculars) on the “Nose Route” on El Capitan (a famous rock climbing route that takes 3 days to complete as it is over 3,000 feet of vertical granite).

We also had a stop to see Bridal Veil Falls (a spectacular waterfall), but did not stop too long as the spray at the bottom view point was like standing in a light rain shower. Not that unpleasant when the shade air temperature is over 90 degrees fareinheit (the car tells us the temprature in degrees Farenheit only).

Then back out of the Park to our Hotel for the next four nights “Yosemite Lodge Hotel” to check in. The rooms in the Hotel are enormous with 2 king size beds, fridge, microwave, television, coffee making, cooker, and luckily air conditioning, but no free internet so this may delay the blogging.

Tonight we are going to sample the Yosemite Lodge Hotel restaurant as the next nearest restaurant is at least 6 miles away.

Have just returned from restaurant and found it fantastic .A good range of food and drinks and we elected to eat al fresco on the balcony terrace over looking the river. We were surprised tby the sight of humming birds visiting the terrace to use a nectar feeder (thought they were tropical birds) and a chipmunk having a sand bath on the edge of the terrace.

A very succesful visit and one we shall no doubt repeat over the next 4 days.

Planning an early start tomorrow to check out the Yosemite Village and walk to Mirror Lake.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



23rd May 2012
Bob and Dinah at the viewpoint

Love the pics
Evie and Millie love your pics and it's great fun watching your travels. Keep enjoying every moment. Lots of lots from all the Bells.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb