Beautiful Yosemite....on a crowded day...


Advertisement
Published: August 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

We have just picked up our new toy, a brand new red Mustang....Convertible car, the kids love them, and this is a first for Tiffany. First challenge, we had to fit all the bags into the required space. We did it, but couldn't have done with any more bags in the trunk or anywhere else...ouf, job done!

Our first stop is to the East of San Francisco, the world famous Yosemite National Park. I think it even figures in the last Seven Wonder of the Natural World.

We first drove to the little city of Merced where we would be based for two nights. Remember, we are at the peak of high summer season. Meaning prices are not cheap, so we didn't want to stay too close to the National Park, which would have meant higher prices for lower level accomodation. Having driven through Merced, the little californian city is pretty non-interesting, but we could find everything we were looking for, perfect for us.

Yosemite National Park is a good 90 minutes further from Merced. Here we saw the highest regular petrol price at 4.89 usd a gallon...bear in mind, over the month, the cheapest we had was at 3.52usd a gallon...big gap. Good for us, I had a pretty full tank. So nothing is cheap in Yosemite? Well, not really, we paid only 20 usd for four of us to enter the park. We had our own picnic supplies with us, so not really an expensive day.

Top of the high season, means top crowds. I am more than happy we didn't even stay in the Park for a night...wow...those crowds. But at the same time, the park is pretty well organised, so you can navigate easily. Leslie, and specially Tiffany had just survived two days of massive walking in San Francisco. And as Tiffany put it...my feet hurt... So we simply gave up on the idea of any long walk, or you can call it the way you want. Today was about enjoying our convertible, parking from time to time and walking from there around.

We did see all the main sites of the Yosemite Valley, visited also the little museum and the indian village, as well as few of the waterfalls. The sun was out there, what a day! We had our swimsuits with us, but Tiffany and Leslie declared that the water was way too cold for our tropical bodies...

Just before sunset, with the roof still out, we drove back full speed to Merced. What a day!

Next, we are heading back to the Pacific...and to more fog....


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st August 2011

5 nights in Yosemite we stayed.
One of the most beautiful spots I've been. On the last day we actually drove to Merced after breakfast, and stayed. That is enough driving for us in one day. You sure do cover those miles, and quickly!
6th September 2011

Great pictures. Good to see all of you on an adventure together.

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb