Ready, Set...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Ventura
July 26th 2012
Published: July 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Summer Vacation 2012! The bags assembled, the road warrior provisions procured, the route selected and a mix of cost effective and splurge accomodations booked - here we go. We are sitting quietly this afternoon (on vacation, did I mention that?) readying to leave for three weeks on our annual road trip.

With stops in Palm Springs, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and a soft landing at the end in California's beautiful Central Coast, we begin this year's journey with a much less heavy heart and head of worry. Wish it was totally cancer free, but to no avail. While I won't be making this trip gripping my cell phone
in anticipation of details about my mom's cancer treatment, this year we are thinking of Heidi and her very aggressive fight against round two. I'm hoping she will read this post and know that we love her and will be thinking of her every step of the way.

It's the year of the cactus - with lots of stops at national parks, monuments and wildlife refuges, cactus nurseries and living deserts - we fully intend to enjoy every prickly, spikey character we can find.

It's going to be hot, the kind of hot we both love. Dry, desert hot with landscapes as far as the eye can see.

Our plan is to be off tomorrow morning with our first stop in Palm Springs - this year's decompression chamber. A stop to catch our breath, smooth the feather and transition into a vacation state of mind. Along the way, I promise to update my travelblog and capture the sights and smells, tastes and sips (that one's for you Brian J!) as we cover nearly 3,000 miles of adventure.

Stay tuned!

Desert Rat Smack Back



Advertisement



27th July 2012

palm Springs
say hi to our friend Jim at the Avanti Hotel there! And to Marilyn Monroe! And have a wonderful time.

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb