Day:14 Mile:3249 Kings Canyon N.P.


Advertisement
Published: August 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: my little buddy just wanted a Ruffle 42 secs
CIMG0179CIMG0179CIMG0179

Kings Canyon floor
Today, concluding the 2nd full week of road tripping, I packed up and headed out of Yosemite around 8 a.m. It was about a 3-hour drive to get to the entrance to Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. The 2 parks are connected with Kings Canyon being to the north. I couldn’t get reservations for a campsite because they were all booked up so I decided to head to Kings Canyon because it is usually a lot less busy.
It took about an hour to drive to the campgrounds that are deep inside the canyon floor. It was an awesome drive but there aren’t many good lookout spots where you can get a good view of the canyon. Perhaps that is why it is less visited than Yosemite Valley to the north. I went for a couple short hikes in the area. There were very few people and it felt good to get away from the hustle and bustle of Yosemite. Very wise choice to come here for the day.
Tomorrow I will head south through Sequoia and see all the big trees before heading west to L.A. I am really excited to see the Giant Sequoias. I find it very interesting that this particular species, the largest on earth, only grows on the western side of the Sierra. Most of them spread out within only a 60-mile tract.

Until we meet again.
Cheers,
Josh

Lesson of the day: Ziploc bags are not waterproof for long periods of time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

CIMG0186CIMG0186
CIMG0186

North Dome
CIMG0200CIMG0200
CIMG0200

awesome little hidden pool
CIMG0194CIMG0194
CIMG0194

meadow in Kings Canyon


19th August 2009

The pool does look awesome!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb