Sequoia and Kings Canyon and environs


Advertisement
Published: April 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We headed east on 198 through Visalia, driving through groves of orange trees, smelling the most pleasing fragrance (and we knew it wasn't Moe's breath.) We realized we were smelling the orange blossoms, for though the trees still have fruit on them, they are again in bloom. The lemon trees in bloom were just as sweet smelling. We passed Kaweah Lake, very picturesque, and finally arrived at the Ash Mountain entrance to Sequoia National Park.

We drove up Generals Highway, climbing and winding, watching the Kaweah River tumbling down, stopping often for pictures. We watched Moro Rock get closer and snow-covered Mt. Eisen come in and out of view. Spring has arrived in the park and the wildflowers and redbuds are in bloom. We visited the Giant Forest Museum and the General Sherman Tree, amazed at the size of the sequoia trees and awed by their ages. We drove on to Grants Grove and admired the General Grant tree, the Tennessee tree, and the other large trees in the grove. We saw the tree our kids climbed up in nearly 15 years ago, when their arms were full of hair-like prickles from the bark. The road to Cedar Grove won't open until noon tomorrow, so we drove down to Hume Lake before heading back. What a marvelous place and what treasures these trees are. We enjoyed the Kings Canyon overlooks, though it was quite hazy by late afternoon.

We came back on highway 63, again enjoying the aroma of orange blossoms, and ate dinner at a restaurant before coming back to the campground.

We're parting ways in the morning, Bob and Gena heading to his cousin's south of LA, and we're heading to Kerry's cousin's in Bakersfield. We're all heading for home after the weekend; Bob and Gena on I-10 and us on I-40. It's been a fun trip together, we hate for it to end, but we're already talking about Alaska for the next trip together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



24th April 2009

NOW, that is gorgeous country!!!! Enjoy all the cuzzins!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb