Sequoia National Park


Advertisement
Published: November 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Wind TurbinesWind TurbinesWind Turbines

These are just a few of the wind turbines we saw
Today we set of for the Sequoia national park to see the giant redwood trees. We left Barstow and headed towards Bakersfield passing through one of the biggest windfarms we have ever seen. Bakersfield was full of oil fields and not very interesting. From Bakersfield we headed north towards the park. We entered the park and immediately saw signs warning us that the Bears are wild animals and should not be approached. Ten minutes later while negotiating some tight bends in the park we spotted a large black bear about 40 feet from the road. We stopped the car and got out to take some photos, the bear was totally uninterested in our presence even after we shouted to try and make it look towards the camera. It stayed in sight for a couple of minutes and then disappeared into the trees.

Our next encounter was while driving to the Tunnel tree, we rounded a bend and saw a Mother with two young deer alongside the road. We slowed the car to walking pace and managed to pull alongside the Mother deer, the two youngsters were a little bit apprehensive and moved away from the car.

Next stop was
Wind TurbinesWind TurbinesWind Turbines

A few more
to see 'The General', the largest living thing on the planet. This tree is between 2,300 and 2,700 years old and stands at 275 feet tall. The circumference is about 85 feet.

On our way from the forest we saw a lot of smoke and flames in the distance but when we got closer we could see the signs explaining that this was a properly managed burn, but quite scary all the same.

Tonight we are staying in Fresno and then off to San Francisco for two nights tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sequoia ParkSequoia Park
Sequoia Park

A view of the park
Tunnel RockTunnel Rock
Tunnel Rock

Chloe and the Tunnel rock
Sequoia ParkSequoia Park
Sequoia Park

Another view of the park
Chloe and SequoiaChloe and Sequoia
Chloe and Sequoia

Chloe by a Sequoia Tree
SequoiaSequoia
Sequoia

A Sequoia Tree
Mummy DeerMummy Deer
Mummy Deer

Mummy Deer
Chloe and The GeneralChloe and The General
Chloe and The General

Chloe and General Sherman
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Sunset


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb