Bodega Boat Race


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Sebastopol
April 14th 2008
Published: April 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This sailboat sits uprightThis sailboat sits uprightThis sailboat sits upright

when the tide comes in! And then the tide goes out....

(Mt. Gilead Bible Camp)

Saturday Bob and I drove to Bodega Bay to attend the Fisherman’s Festival (Think: Old Timer’s Festival, or Heritage Days, or Cow Town Hoe Down…most towns have them, just different names!) The highlight of the festival is the boat race. At 10am each team of four gets these supplies: 2- 4x8’ sheets of plywood, 5 strips of 1x2”, 5 strips of 1x1”, a tube of caulk, 3 cups of deck screws, 1 roll of 3 mil plastic and a roll of duct tape. They have three hours to construct a boat that will float two people in a horseshoe shaped pattern in the bay. Fastest boat wins. (I don’t know what they won, but it didn’t seem to matter to anyone. I can tell you who won last year, because there was a lot of bragging going on about it!)

On a side note: Bodega is where the movie The Birds was filmed. That’s just a bit of info to use in Trivia!

Sunday we went to church in a small town named Occidental. It's at the intersection of Bohemian Highway and Bohemian Highway! I'm serious! And there's also Bohemian Avenue that runs
The Coast Guard guarded the event!The Coast Guard guarded the event!The Coast Guard guarded the event!

(I'm not sure if they expected terrorist or what!) The Red Cross helicopter flew in before the race began. Realize that the boats hadn't been in the water until they began the race!
off Bohemian Highway.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Frantically building boats!Frantically building boats!
Frantically building boats!

They can paint them because it's decoration, not structural!
Not the best idea as it turned out!Not the best idea as it turned out!
Not the best idea as it turned out!

But they had a super time building it!
This is what some of the buildersThis is what some of the builders
This is what some of the builders

did with their roll of plastic!
The Coast Guard gave The Coast Guard gave
The Coast Guard gave

demonstrations before the races started. They were very impressive. Doesn't it look like the boat is sitting in the mud!
And they're off...And they're off...
And they're off...

You can see that the Coast Guard is there! You can't be too prepared! They were so funny to watch as they rowed the u-shaped course.
The only boat that didn't float....The only boat that didn't float....
The only boat that didn't float....

was the Coast Guard boat! They took a lot of guff from the big (store-bought) Coast Guard boat!!!
This team was last year's winner.This team was last year's winner.
This team was last year's winner.

They only placed second this year though.


Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb