The reception


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

at Arista Wineryat Arista Wineryat Arista Winery

The ladies are gathered in the office of the winery waiting for the go ahead for the ceremony...indoor or outdoor...it's still a question and, of course I have my eyes closed.
Rain threatened all afternoon with off and on drizzling. As we drove to Arista Winery where the wedding and reception took place it seemed like we might be in the clear...so to speak. We were riding in a van with the maid of honor at the helm. Emily was sitting in the middle row with the back of her dress and her veil draped over the back of the seat to keep it from being crushed. MOB sat in the middle row with the two of the three bridesmaids in the back row. Emily had me sitting in front to prevent any motion sickness in the drive over. Rebekah joined us at the winery. With expert piloting from the Sarah in the back seat and the on board navigation system we made to Arista without incident.

We were directed to come in through the back to avoid the guests catching a glimpse of the bride. We were running a few minutes late. Umbrellas popped out to cover the bride as she was ushered into the wine tasting room's office. One of the photos shows us all gathered in the small space of the office while we waited for the decision...inside
My big bro Don and meMy big bro Don and meMy big bro Don and me

What is it about the flash that I must close my eyes?
or outside. Word came...outside ...with a lot of prayers. I headed out to join the guys because I would be seated before the bridesmaids. I got a chance to hug my son before he went down the aisle.

Then came the tenuous moment. It started to rain. The groom, groomsmen, Manuel and myself ducked back under the umbrella on the deck. Guests started opening umbrellas and the event planner started handing out umbrellas. We waited for a few minutes and the rain softened to a drizzle. We were back on. Jay and the groomsmen headed out followed by Manuel walking me down the aisle. Once I was seated the bridesmaids started down the aisle and then we all stood for Emily and Joan.

Once Emily reached the aisle and whipped my head around to see Jay. His jaw was trembling and he looked like he was about to lose it. Clearly this was a man totally in love with the woman walking down the aisle. She was so beautiful with the veil that her mother made framing her face.

I think the moment that had the deepest impact on me was when the officiant was reading aloud
Emily, Jay and DonEmily, Jay and DonEmily, Jay and Don

After dinner bride and groom visit the guests.
what they had written about each other. As a mother, I tend to see the best in my children. It was wonderful to hear what Emily thought was the best in Jay including some details she had never told anyone about their first date. I didn't know that Emily had asked Jay out on the first date. Way to go Em! Then, I got a chance to hear Jay's thought about Emily. By then I had tears running down my face. It was also right about that point that it started raining again and an umbrella was popped open over them to finish off the ceremony.

The rain ended about the time the ceremony did so they were able to walk down the aisle unencumbered by an umbrella. The guests enjoyed hors d'ouevres and wine while the wedding party took photographs. Then it was over to the tent for the celebration.

Jay and Emily had spent a lot of last minute time making rain preparations which were appreciated by everyone there because it did start raining again. They even had heat piped in to keep us all warm enough. The dinner was very much a "Jay and Emily"
Jay and EmilyJay and EmilyJay and Emily

The first dance
kind of dinner. Halibut with a mango salsa, duck breast with an expresso rub and berry sauce, and corn pudding was part of the meal with a choice of red or white wine to accompany the meal.

Other treats were s'mores at the outdoor fire pit and the two selections for the wedding cake, a white layer with a fruit filling and a chocolate layer. Dancing started after the couple's first dance and continued until the last shuttle came to take people home. It was fun to see the cousins out on the dance floor together although it took them most of the night to get out there together. It was wonderful to see them together that night and to see the love on their faces for one another.

There was a great moment when the DJ asked for all married couples to get out on the dance floor to dance and then did a numbers count down...those who had been married less than a day, less than a year, less than five years and so on until just my brother Don and his wife Pam were left on the floor with their 43 years of marriage (I think it was 43 maybe 44) and Don and Pam finished the dance by themselves on the floor. When asked the reason for the longevity of the marriage my brother replied, "separate checkbooks."

Thank you to all who gathered to share in the celebration of Jay and Emily's marriage.

(15 photos in this entry)


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

dance floordance floor
dance floor

Jay and Emily must have picked good tunes because the dance floor stay filled most of the night
Don and PamDon and Pam
Don and Pam

This was a "how long have you been married" dance and Don and Pam were the last couple left dancing...40+ years. Congrats!


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb