Return Home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Mateo
June 30th 2012
Published: July 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

We awoke to the five different alarms we set at about 5:15 AM. The kids, still not fully recovered from travel to Barcelona from Africa, were difficult to rouse even with repeated shaking. We eventually made it down to the lobby and into a taxi. All went smoothly, first through the short hop from Barcelona to Frankfurt and then through the long haul to San Francisco. It’s been a phenomenal trip. About midway through our journey, the kids got on us for our (admitted) overuse of the word ‘phenomenal’ and Andrew instituted a rule that he got to hit us every time we used it. But it was a journey worth the money, the effort, and even the pain of being hit by Andrew every hour. It has changed our view of how accessible the world is… For example, Andrew has now vowed to visit every continent at least once. It has changed our view of how far away Europe is …Europe is seriously close to home compared to Africa. (This is similar to how our first trip to Europe made the US East Coast seem nearer). Our experience on Safari has forever changed the way we think about animals and perhaps reduced our ability to enjoy a zoo. We all agree that our experience at Londolozi will be difficult to beat in upcoming vacations and definitely consider that we may have to go back to Londolozi when the time is right. And importantly, our trip to the township and the Shangaan village, and our interactions with the people of South Africa and Zambia have changed the way we think about our opportunities in U.S.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb