The Terminal


Advertisement
Published: January 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sculptures in MeridaSculptures in MeridaSculptures in Merida

Jaime's mosquito bites had got out of hand
Hello Everyone,

Before I start, a couple of corrections and updates to the last entry:

I mentioned that we were drinking Cristal with every meal. This is a brand of Mexican table water and not the champagne beloved of the hip hop community.

On the celebrity spotting front, we saw Mark Lawrenson (Match of the Day) on the flight from Manchester to London, wearing a bad suit. From Dallas to San Francisco we had athletics legend Michael Johnson, his clothes seemed OK.

Last time we'd just arrived in Merida in Mexico and we had a good four days in the town. Highlights included:

The closing of the city streets to cars on Sundays which meant the town was really quiet and we could walk up a road they nicknamed 'The Champs Elyses of Mexico'. It's got Mexican and Japanese sculptures down both sides of the street.

The cultural festival which took place around the main square every night including all the top Mexican crooners and lots of people that like to dance with trays and beer glasses on their heads.

Getting hot and bothered and spending an hour cooling off in that prime example of Mexican culture, Wal Mart.

We also learnt that when it comes to food,gofor what the locals know,not what you know. Between us we had the worst pizza/pasta ever and the best mexican ever. We were so afraid of getting the runs that we started out going for western food, but soon switched.

From Merida we moved onto a town called Valladolid and got a Junior Suite in the best hotel in town (there isn't much competition, but we needed some luxury after a mere two nights in a perfectly acceptable 'budget' hotel). This meant we had some more great traditional Mexican food and as the town has less going on than Merida, a bit of time to relax.

The main reason to come to Valladolid are the Cenotes: underground lagoons with crystal clear water that the Mayans used to bathe in. Their local council swimming pool, if you like. We've got some pictures but they don't really do it justice, check out the following:

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/8832/xkakah.html

We swam at the cenote shown in the link and had the place to ourselves. Amazing, and if you come to this part of the world, it shouldn't be missed.

From Valladolid we returned to Cancun and to save some money spent the night at the airport ready for our flight to Dallas the next morning. The longest 15 hours of our lives. You can recreate this in your own homes by trying to go to sleep on a dining room chair, with all the lights in the room switched on, while a friend/relative walks past with a walkie-talkie every ten minutes asking if you want a taxi.

Jaime nearly caused a full security alert at Dallas airport having left her ipod in her pocket. I swear they were about to go for a full cavity search. It took me nearly five minutes to realise. I was hungry and wanted to know what restaurant facilities were available.

After Dallas it was a quick change of flight and on to San Francisco which we're actually leaving in a couple of days. We'll update you when we get to LA.

Hope you're all well.

Martin & Jaime







Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Incredible ExperienceIncredible Experience
Incredible Experience

The main cenote outside Valladolid. We swam here. Incredible.
Cancun AirportCancun Airport
Cancun Airport

After 11 hours, and the enjoyment hadn't dropped


24th January 2008

I'M SO JEALOUS!
not much time to write. Sounds like you are having an amazing time and I'M SO JEALOUS! Take care, Annax
24th January 2008

Thanks
Thanks for taking the time to post your entertaining blog. Can't wait for the next installment. Have you tried the mangos yet - or was that Hawaii? I remember the pollo con mole (chicken in chocolat sauce) was pretty good too. Brian

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb