Event Horizon


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

It's the last day. We have walked, eaten, drank, and sight seen our way thru San Francisco. Its been a heck of a trip and we have just one last day to enjoy before we go home to our dreary, demeaning, and disappointing lives. Ok, maybe its not that bad but in 24 hours we will no longer be on vacation.

For once Speck is not the first person up. Megan and Polly ordered room service and Speck and Gallaway find them lounging in the hot tub. The last of the Sapporo is drank and again Speck is given the duty of driving into the city. (Gallaway really needs to get his liscense) Arriving at the Grossman Flat the car is parked and we hop a bus to Pier 39 with intentions of seeing Alcatraz. Our luck sucks. The tours are sold out thru the weekend. Se la vie. With Speck and Gallaway's stomachs empty food is a must. So to the Eagle Cafe. Outside there was a placard describing the fact that originally the Eagle Cafe was in another location. The owner tried to get it designated a historical landmark but the city turned him down. At that time he decided to move the entire building to a new venue on the second level at Pier 39. On the day of the move the city council attempted to designate it a landmark but thanks to some legal maneuvering the building had reached its new home before it could be stopped. When asked what he would have done if a council member had attempted to bodily block the move he simply replied "Squish!" Because of this sign that is where we had to eat. Being extra-ordinarily hungry Gallaway and Polly ordered a bread bowl of soup and a BLT each. Speck had a club and a couple of beers, Megan a burger, and Ashlee just the breadbowl. When the food arrived we began to see their mistake. The breadbowl was huge and the plates with sandwiches and fries were not plates but small platters to hold the 5 inch thick sandwiches. When the bill had been paid and it was time to go there were moans of pain from standing up under the load of food we had just ingested.

Back down on the first level we stood around and watched the juggler. He had what had to be the worlds longest build-up to a trick, it was almost more impressive than the fact that he was standing on a rolling balance, with a kick ball balanced on a stick in his mouth while he juggled 3 pins. Once we escaped the show we watched the sea lions again. Grossman had called and due to the weather we needed more clothing. He agreed to swing by the flat and bring more sweaters and then to meet us a Ghirardelli Square.

On foot again we shuffled down the street, past Gary Danko's (where I am going to have to eat the next time I am in San Francisco) and up to Ghirardelli Square. Hot coffee was in high demand and after some difficulties getting what we wanted we sat down to re-caffinate and warm up. At that time Grossman arrived and devoured the leftover half a BLT while layers of clothing were added to those of us who were imitating Popsicles. Ashlee told the original story of Beauty and the Beast and then it was time to drink.

Celler 360 was the place to be and we be there! The wine tasting was excellent and soon we had settled on a Petite Syrah called Stag's Leap (a lush with a mind for details I am). With 2 bottles of that, toasted bread, and a cheese plate we settled in to relax and converse. It was soon decided that upon the return to Lexington this would have to become at least a monthly occurrence. Wine, cheese, and friends was a great way to wrap up this trip.

Waiting for the bus to get back to the apartment Speck called his brother Spot to find out what was going on with the UK basketball game. Discovering that a tornado had caused a postponement of the game we were most confused and hopeful that we might see the game the next day... (that didn't happen either). Back at the apartment it was decided that Ashlee would drop us off at the hotel which she did with promises of visiting us in KY soon. Speck verified our taxi pick-up at the un-godly hour of 5:45 to make sure we would make our flight on time, such a waste, and then with a little packing everyone went to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.046s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb