Locked up!


Advertisement
Published: August 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yippee - Shopping Day !

Off to spend Hubbies money, need some jeans, top and/or a jacket, as we are off to Alcatraz tonight & everyone says it is freezing going across the bay & walking around the island, so going prepared! Ok have now decided as much as I love Bloomingdales, Macys, Nordstroms & many, many other lovely shops I need to win the lottery if I can ever afford to buy anything in any of them :-(

Did get some new Levi 'skinny' fit jeans, that I have to peel on & off, but are lovely and comfy, which at my age is very important! And a new wool jacket & a scarf, right ready for anything this strange San Francisco weather can throw at me; but before we go had to have a couple of beers, so stopped off at Chinatown, getting used to the public transport here now, had lunch, went to have a look at Lombard Street, the bendy one you see in all the films, but it was too far away & up a very steep hill, which we couldn't be bothered to climb so went for another beer - might have to go back and see it in the car!

Well apparently we have been very lucky, tonights crossing to Alcatraz is the warmest & clearest they have had nearly all summer & at least over the last 3 weeks (big cheesy smug grin) Alcatraz was both interesting & exciting, going in the evening gave it an air of spookiness, we even got to see the hospital wing, nasty & very ancient equipment, pity any of the poor souls who got ill whilst there. Got to hear some very intersting stories about the inmates & what they got up to, walked around the prison, tried to lock Hubby in for the night at least, but I didn't have enough money to bribe the guards !

Had some stunning views of San Francisco, we were the lucky ones, you don't realise it is only 1 1/2 miles from the island to the town, but the water in the bay and the weather conditions can be horrific, it's no wonder no-one ever escaped (well maybe 3 of them, 2 brothers & a friend, but this can't be confirmed or denied, as no bodies were ever found) Also being that close must have been a big torment to the prisoners as they could here all of the noise, laughter & music wafting across the bay, from the townsfolk!

Caught the 'drunk train' home, and I might add we weren't !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.1035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb