California Roadtrip - the final entry


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

May 2nd was technically the last day on the road and we set off for our last stop, San Francisco with great excitement. We had decided to stay in a more residential part of town, Japantown, so that we could get a better sense of SF and an attempt to feel a little more anchored than the previous weeks. It was nice to not feel like a full-on tourist and the local bars and restaurants in nearby Fillmore were warm and welcoming; so much so that we enjoyed two meals out in that area. The first was at a fabulous seafood place, the Woodhouse Fish Company; the food was amazing and well worth the hour wait. In fact we waited in Florio across the road which impressed us so much we went back the next day to sample their fare. Both restaurants had beautiful fresh food and flawless service. And full of locals so a sure sign of quality to me.

As you can imagine, we did most of the must-do first time touristy things; a bus ride to Union Square and Fishermans' Wharf; a boat ride to Alcatraz; an attempt at the 49-mile scenic drive through all the key sights and of course, more eating! I LOVED the farmers markets all around the city (we went to one every day to pick up breakfast / lunch). San Fran is a really easy place to walk around, inspite of the hills, and we really loved the Ferry Plaza area. Especially for the food and wine shops. I think both of us agree that the food on this trip has been the best we've ever had and San Fran is a genuine foodie delight.





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb