The Third Amigo Arrives and We Get Big Wood


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

On July 6th, Eric and Caleb crossed the border, stopping briefly at Lady Bird Johnson Grove (in the Redwood National Forrest) en route to pick up the Third Amigo, Alex! The trees are simply astonishing, and we even saw a Banana Slug! The pictures tell the story more poetically than these words. Notice the diameter greater than Eric's height (insert poorly worded and inappropriate eric = midget joke here) and the fire sculpted shell of a tree. Quite suddenly, Alex called the duo informing them that weather in Atlanta would delay his arrival by another day. He was stuck in Salt Lake City until the following morning. The next day, Alex arrived in good form and on time (although technically delayed). As a measure of good form, they headed straight to the microbrewery and tasted all 10 individually crafted brews. Of note and worthy of investigation at your neighborhood establishment (that hopefully ships from Eureka, CA) are Lost Coast Brewery brews like Apricot Wheat, Downtown Brown, and Great White (an unfiltered beer).

The following few days en route to San Francisco traversed the Avenue of the Giants and the remainder of the Redwood Forrest. This is hands down some of the best cycling ever! Immortal tree was over 300+ feet tall and had survived fire, axe, earthquake, flood, and lightning. Mount Legget and the following day consisted of the highest peak and the steepest grade on the entire Pacific Coast route. All three cyclists conquered these challenges with finesse and grace. As a measure induction practices, the second (or third, we can't remember) night, alex with company (equally company as alex) was suggested to finish the box of wine (box = 4 bottles - 2 glasses). Mini-shout out: Black box wines are incredible and very camping friendly! 4 bottles of quality (not grocery store quality, but independent dealer quality) wine in a vacuum sealed box. He surpassed expectations and the third amigo became a full member of this crazy expedition after a night of bonding and catching up. A vote among of the three resulted in a two-day detour to wine country. Next on Versus: the three amigos head to Napa and Sonoma. Video at 11.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



23rd July 2009

Missed the blog
I was beginning to wonder if you guys had headed west again - glad to hear you are still moving south. How gorgeous the coast is! Cool slug.
24th July 2009

The pictures are gorgeous, and it sounds like you're having a great time...but I wish you guys would update more often! SOME of us are slaving away in a cubicle farm and need to live vicariously through you lucky ducks (and yes, we worry when you vanish)! Glad everything's going well!

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb