Redwoods to Russian River


Advertisement
Published: October 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


blog 10-02-17 Redwoods to Russion River

We didn't get up til way after 7 but were on the road by 9:20 am. Heading south on 101 all the way to our next stop which will be Russion River. The road was 4 lanes for a time then down to 2 lanes as it wound through the Redwood Forest and the giant trees. As we went into the forest the light was very limited and we had to take off our sunglasses to see well. Then when you came out it was almost blinding it was so light.

The speed limit on 101 was 65 on the 4 lane stretches and down to 25 sometimes on the 2 lane stretches winding your way through the Redwoods. It was not boring and definately not a highway to fall asleep on.

Nearing the end of my driving streatch we stopped to shop at a Walmart (which we have not seen for weeks) and the parking lot was VERY small, definately not made for an rv. I pulled in and stopped, sweaty palms, and said to Ginnie,"What do I do now?" It took a little manovering and more sweat on my part but we parked and went in to shop. It was a little Walmart and they only had small amounts of food so they didn't have all we needed, but it was ok we'll have real stores tomorrow.

The next stop was for gas and that was another adventure. Ginnie had taken the wheel at Walmart so I was off the hook and she motored the bus into the pumps like she had all the room in the world. She drove us out of the lot like a pro and we were on 101 south again.

The trip was a long one but not all that hard after the Redwood sections and we found our exit and Thousand Trails park called Russian River. You guessed it the campground was on the Russian River, but we couldn't see it because it was WAY down in a ravine.

The area was very dry with dead grass everywhere. This is wine growing country and we passed lots of vineyards along the way and later found out that the Russian River valley is one of the best wine producers in CA. Thanks Kat.

Along with the dead grass there were green trees (I think live oaks) on beautiful rolling hills. It was beautiful country but stark.

After 6 hrs on the road we found our exit and the campground and with not TOO much trouble found our sight for the night which backed up to the woods. There were birds all around calling and jumping in the trees which was nice for us to see.

We each got a shower, walked the dogs and after dinner for us all we crashed for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb