Inn @ Jack London


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Oakland
December 3rd 2014
Published: December 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our last full day in San Francisco and with the wet weather (continuing) and traffic, we decided to relocate tonight to make it easy to get to the train station on time... So we booked into the Inn @ Jack London Square. Let me tell you, it's a lovely location. Nice room, well appointed and comfortable. But let me begin the day again. So with all the best of intentions, we woke at 6am, then rolled back over and snoozed, before we finally got up and about at 9am... Of course with teenaged daughters it took a while, but we got to breakfast before it was done 😊 Then we headed back into San Francisco's city centre. Of course it's stills raining (I think that's just our luck in SF!) So we hurried around and found the Post Office (they seem to be in hiding!!) in the basement of Macy's. (They do international mail there, and is easy to access when you know where it is.)

Lunch was at Lefty O'Douls - a beef sandwich - massive barely describes how big it was. So that and coke for 4 was just over $46 (Yes, a little expensive but very very filling!) We didn't really do a lot of shopping as it was just so wet and so cold. Instead we headed back to the hotel to pack up.

Our sad face activity was booking and finding a cab to get us over to Oakland. It is our opinion that the cab company we called - we won't quite tell you which one - are obviously not used to dealing with whole families (4 adults each with a big suitcase) and while Mark tried to explain the situation they cut him off. So naturally, at 2pm we get the "your cab will be there in approximately one minute" phone call... They turn up at 2pm with ... yep, you guessed it... a small cab. We didn't fit. So, Mark chats with the driver and they say they will send another cab. S okay, we wait another 50 minutes and Mark finally calls them and explains the situation. The drivers were great, but the system let them down. If you're travelling as a group with big suitcases, consider this...

Anyway, we arrived in Oakland (How did we NOT KNOW this place exists??) Clean and personable service everywhere we've been. Wish we'd known before. The hotel was super easy to book into (especially as we'd pre-paid) and is only a couple of blocks from the Amtrak station.

Then we went downstairs to check out Buttercup Grill... OMG their pies are humungous!!! $4.29 for a piece of Banana Cream Pie!!!! Yummo! They were easy to work with, as we'd just walked in looking for a coffee. Let me tell you, if you're in Oakland, drop in. They also have wonderfully nice staff :D

Okay, signing out for now - will update again tomorrow. Sorry no pics right now. Will update those later too!! 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb