California Found - Oakland-San Leandro-Berkeley-


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Oakland
April 7th 2011
Published: April 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Auntie Pam and SadieAuntie Pam and SadieAuntie Pam and Sadie

Isn't she beautiful?
From Saratoga, California to San Leandro, a suburb of Oakland, it took a 45 minute drive! The many concrete roads are just arteries to get you to the meat.

Oakland is where the westward railroad stops, where Rocky Road Ice Cream was born, along with the Mai Tai Cocktail.

Like most of this area the Ohione People shared the land 1000's of years before the Spanish came in the 18 & 19th century, claiming they owned it.

After the destruction of the 1906 earthquake and great fire many San Francisco residents left the debris of their lives and built homes and lives in Oakland. Little did they know that Oakland sits on two faults: The San Andreas fault & the Hayward fault.

In 1991 there was an urban fire that destroyed 4,000 homes and killed 25 people--many roasted in their car as they tried to get out via the two roads leading away from the hills.
Jane's house in San Leandro is Spanish with the original wood floors with inlaid wood surround. From the front it looks like a sweet 'little' house, but like a circus illusion, inside it goes on and on.
While we were there
Brother Tom, Pam and HelgaBrother Tom, Pam and HelgaBrother Tom, Pam and Helga

At first Tom wasn't happy about coming [see his unhappy pout?] But later he seemed to enjoy himself. And my husband really liked him@
Jane took us to Berkeley, California located on the east shore of San Francisco Bay and home of the oldest university in California--the University of California. 'Where it all happened, Man." It is still seen as the most politically liberal spot in the nation. Berkeley is transverse by the Hayward Fault. It hasn't moved the earth in centuries, and experts predict that a quake of 6.5 or larger is imminent.

We had a family reunion at Jane’s. In fact, I’d only met Jane once in late 1969s or 1970. But she made quite an impression. I saw my brother, Tom, who I hadn’t seen in 40 years. I met my nieces, Tina and Lorelle, in addition to meeting Helga, the woman behind Tom, who I’ve talked to on the phone for 30+ years. Then I met the fabulous Sadie—my grant-niece. How sweet, beautiful, and talented she is—but I could be a tad prejudiced ;-) It was wonderful meeting family after all these years….



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Jane-Helga-Pam, Tom, Tina, LorelleJane-Helga-Pam, Tom, Tina, Lorelle
Jane-Helga-Pam, Tom, Tina, Lorelle

Looking at pictures on my idpad
Auntie Pam and SadieAuntie Pam and Sadie
Auntie Pam and Sadie

She did songs for us later--quite inventive


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb