Fiji, island of the resting sun


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Oakhurst
March 18th 2015
Published: March 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Most days we spend relaxing on the beach, Fran was being rocked on the hammock by the wind as she read her book and also Keith was reading his book (shock!!). The only action were small boats taking people from the islands to the ferry as it journied from the main island three times a day. Also that's how the food, post and stores got to the island. We also saw a boat carrying a fuel lorry and this docked approx 6 meters from the shore and the pipe delivered calor gas and diesel the resort.

Fiji was on alert for cyclone Pam which was heading on a southernly direction and progressing to a category 5. We were being kept informed of its progress and strength by the resort manager but it passed approx 1000 kilometers to the west of Fiji and travelling away from the island. We got its tail end high winds and rain over the last few days. They closed the Beach Bar, no people were leaving or coming to the island and local trips were cancelled. Some families were leaving early as they had flights to catch at Nadi International Airport so they left and were put into hotels on the main island. That left a total of three or four families on Malolo. The rain was heavy but only lasted no more that 20 minutes. Then we had sun. The ferry was stopped on Thursday and started up again on Saturday.

Saturday is Fijian traditional night, but the villagers were able to make it due to rough ocean so the resort staff had a 15 minute practice in the afternoon and then they presented some traditional singing and dancing for us, it was wonderful to watch and also we joined in.

All the resort staff were friendly and very helpful, life was slow and things happen in Fijian time, which means whenever ... which I have adopted.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb