California Fly-Drive


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Monterey
August 6th 2014
Published: August 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

It was with some regret we left Evergreen lodge, aware of how much more there was to see in Yosemite but still very much looking forward to the rest of our trip. We started out early enough but came on a traffic jam due to road traffic accident - ?fatal. It didnt look like it was going to clear so we got the Garmin to come up with a new route. After about 5 miles of pure dirt track which I had continued down reassured by the two fresh sets of tyre tracks I found a dead end and realised the second set of tracks was the first one returning. Nevermind, it was the best bit of off-roading I've ever done. So we joined the back of the queue just as things got going.

The route to Monterey was cross country so it took a bit of time to relax but again the Garmin was right on the money. The country side looks like desert but its dry yellow grass interspersed with ancient looking trees, either olive or nut. A significant number had been blown apart by lightening strikes leaving branches dumped around the charred remains of the trunk - very different from the effects of the rim fire.

As we descended we came to Merced. Just beyond the hydro-electric dam numerous groups were unloading their inflatables for a glide down the river in the baking heat - now 100 degrees F. We were very jealous but continued west. We stopped at an Applebys on Loughborough drive for lunch and refueled before firing on towards Monterey. On the valley floor, the mountains loomed ahead as we passed irrigation canals and fields of market gardens. We drove round a huge depleted reservoir as we rose up into the hills again.

The Mariposa apartment was a bit merky initially. We had a drive round Monterey harbour and out to Pacific Grove where the Chinese Lantern festival was in full flow. We returned to MOnterey and had a walk round. Its a nice old town, a bit serious with a single street of life. Chocolate cake skyscraper!

We spied a shopping area across the road from the hotel and when the next day seemed cool and foggy we headed in there. Hollister was invaded and ransacked. We cleared out stocked up with tee shirts and hoodys to sunny skies so we made for the pool and soaked up some UV.

PF Changs was across the road too so we ventured in there. It seemed a typical Chinese restaurant. Grander than normal, very pleasant staff and superb grub. Everyone liked the salted calamari but the ribs and dumplings were superb.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014.1kb