Monterey Peninsula


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Pacific Grove Marine ParkPacific Grove Marine ParkPacific Grove Marine Park

The purple flowers followed the coastline
Today we left the relatively isolated Big Sur area to go to the Monterey Peninsula. It was a beautiful drive, more sheer cliffs and rugged coastline and more traffic as we got closer to Carmel. Our first stop was Lobos Point, which is a wildlife refuge and supposed to be beautiful. We were refused entry because no dogs are allowed. It was a disappointment, but what can you do?
We traveled on to Pacific Grove Marine Park. Pacific Grove is north of Carmel not as touristy a town and full of old Victorian homes. I liked the area. We walked the park’s seaside path for awhile at Lover’s Point (named after the lovers of Jesus) and admired the purple flowers and sea view. Then Frank’s camcorder battery went on the fritz, so we had to cut the walk short and headed to a Circuit City for a new battery.
That task accomplished we visited the Mission San Carlos Borromeo del Carmelo. The church was begun in 1793 and is covered with a lime plaster made of burnt seashells. The gardens are beautiful and the architecture is interesting. I enjoyed taking photos for an hour.
After lunch moved on to the17 mile drive, which is a toll-road that winds through the exclusive community of Pebble Beach and along a beautiful coastline. Golf is BIG here and there are several famous courses in the area. The drive is THE tourist thing to do. The coastline was pretty and the real estate was high class. Bird Rock with all the birds, sea lions and seals was our favorite.
We headed toward Salinas to spend the night and try to catch up on the blog.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Seaside at a Golf Course on Pebble BeachSeaside at a Golf Course on Pebble Beach
Seaside at a Golf Course on Pebble Beach

Note the green on the right. Not sure how this one is played. It's right on the rocks
Bird RockBird Rock
Bird Rock

The birds share the territory with otters, seals and sea lions.
Famous Monterey Cypress TreeFamous Monterey Cypress Tree
Famous Monterey Cypress Tree

This tree is 250 years old. Cypress trees have facinating shapes and are plentiful in the area.


Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 100; dbt: 0.0939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb