Monterey Bay Canoeing


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Monterey
January 27th 2021
Published: January 27th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Canoeing in Monterey Bay, California





Last Fall I headed out for some canoeing in Monterey Bay after some friends told me how cool it was out there. Preparing for a road trip to California (I live in Denver) can be fun and exciting. One important lesson I learned on my last trip is not to forget that my car needs some extra special attention before loading up and taking off.

While I might have spent many hours on planning the destination, choosing what to pack, and taking care of the details; it's really the car that needs the extra special attention. After all, if that breaks down, that's it. Trip over. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new car, or one you've had for over a decade... take a little time now or there might be trouble later.

Begin by checking all of the fluids. If it’s been some time or you’re planning a very long trip you might even consider having them changed out. In particular, determine when your last oil change was made and determine if you are coming up on that 3,000 mile mark and have the oil changed before the trip.

Have the brakes checked. Because on a road trip you will be relying a lot on your brakes it’s important to make sure they are working properly and have enough pad life left. In addition you may want to have the rotors checked for warps or cracks as well.

Begin by checking your tires air pressure and consider having your tires rotated and inspected. Though buying new tires can be an added expense to your trip, if your current tires are worn or rotted it’s better to spend the money in advance and have a safer ride for the trip.

Check all of the lights. It’s important to make sure that your brake lights are working as well turn signals and headlights. Check for any burned-out bulbs and replace them before the trip.

How are your windshield wipers? Most likely some time during your road trip you’ll encounter some precipitation and having good windshield wipers will be an advantage. Because windshield wipers wear out often, if they are more than six months old it might be a good idea to replace them.

Consider your in-car entertainment systems. From the stereo to GPS or DVD systems; check that everything working properly and that you have batteries or other power sources if necessary.

Finally, give your car a thorough cleaning both inside and out. Remove any items you’ve been carrying in the cargo area or trunk that can be left at home. The cleaner the car is, the more enjoyable the ride will be, as well as the better visibility you will have through clean windows.

Once you’ve done the checks and taken care of any maintenance issues, pack your gear and head on out. You’ll find your trip is more enjoyable because you won’t be constantly worrying about something on the car going wrong.

Road trips may seem like an outdated vacation, but they can be loads of fun. You get to spend time with your buddies or family and then stop at several great locations throughout the trip. If you’re looking into a road trip in the west here are 3 great places that you won’t want to miss.

Canoeing is something I have done for many years. It can be a real family-type adventure that is challenging yet not too difficult. Besides being a distinctly fun activity, it is also a form of travel. With a canoe you have the means to safely access wilderness areas that otherwise might not be possible for a family. In more touristy places you have the means to slip off across the river or lake for more private family fun.

If you have your own canoe, great. It is easily carried on your car to where you will be using it. Or you can rent a canoe for long excursions or for as little as a few hours. This is a very flexible way to travel and explore.

Canoeing as a family is a slow-paced activity which provides the opportunity to really get close to nature. The kids are involved not just as spectators but as an active part of the effort. This can be an exceptionally rewarding and confidence building experience for them.

Paddling a canoe is fun but potentially boring for the kids. There are plenty of ways to keep their interest up. Paddling close to shore gives everyone a chance to watch for birds and animals. Find a beach or large rock to stop at and go for a swim. Children too young to paddle can have fun pretending to paddle with small toy paddles. If you have two canoes, you can race them. Navigate around and between rocks to create a sense of excitement. Make up stories about what’s in the trees on the shore or what’s around the next bend.

A great idea is to bring a camera along to photograph wildlife. Keep in mind that you should always keep a respectful distance. But you can still get a good close-up shot with a telephoto lens. A water-resistant camera is recommended and be sure to wear it on a short strap. You don’t want to drop the camera into the water!

Always keep safety in mind. Bring life jackets for everyone. Anyone who can’t swim should wear one while in the canoe. Go over the rules before boarding the canoe. Standing up or switching places should never be done while the canoe is in the water. Leaning over the side is a no-no because it can tip the canoe, and someone could fall out. Do a little research on boating safety so you can prepare yourself and the family to stay safe.

Show the kids who are old enough to paddle how to handle the paddle. Go over the basics of how to steer the canoe.

One of the great things about a family canoeing vacation is that it naturally combines with camping and fishing, which are always popular with kids.

I took my canoe with me right to the campsite along the shore of Monterey Bay. I explored the inlets during the day as well as caught a few trout! At night, over a carefully built fire and cast-iron skillet I cooked my fish (it was yummy) and had that with a cheap (but good) bottle of California Cabernet. I was out there by Monterey for 3 nights and 4 days, and it was awesome!

Canoeing around Monterey Bay was absolutely everything I had hoped it would be. The water was not too rapid, the sights and sounds of nature were magnificent, and I got some great pictures (which I'm still editing, so stay tuned)

All in all, a great road trip, and a great canoeing trip that I recommend everybody tries out!

Until the next time,

I'm Denver Guy, and thanks for reading!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb