Kayaking The Albion River


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Mendocino
October 15th 2011
Published: October 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

My foot on the kayakMy foot on the kayakMy foot on the kayak

Just my foot.....
We are still enjoying the sights here around Albion River, just outside of Mendocino. At noon we left to go kayaking. The weather was pleasantly warm and the sky blue with a few clouds. We feel blessed that all is working out so well on this trip and kayaking was no exception. It took about two hours to get to the end of the river. We went as far down as we could before having to turn around and return. We saw all kinds of birds including, Hawk, Eagle, Cormorant, Blue Herons AND...Wild Turkey! They were all beautiful in their natural environment. The further out we got, the more we saw. We also saw a couple of River Otters with their sweet faces peaking out from the water. So quiet out there. We encoutered one other couple so we were very much to ourselves.
While going down the river we saw two old houseboats in the middle of the water. So what were these about? Our friends told us that they were not on any land so the people that built them were able to get away with having them. They were in a no man's land so nobody cared....interesting.
The Albion River had a huge logging mill here about 100 years ago. Our friends that are managing the campground have many books of historical pictures. What a story they tell. While kayaking down the river we saw many remnants of that history including railroad pilons where the railway ran into the mountains to pick up logs that were brought out to the ocean and onto ships for export. They say that back then they thought they would never run out of old growth trees. The industry was all up and down the West Coast. These were huge trees that would take men all day for one tree to be cut down. What 'MEN' they were to do the work they did. Great history here and we love hearing all about it.
We returned from our Kayaking at 4pm. It was a good day of exercise and such fun.
We are thinking we will move on tomorrow, but we sure have enjoyed our time here in Albion and Mendocino.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb