Deaf and Done in LA


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Alarm kept going off at 3am in the room. Phone alarm went off at 4 and I cycled through the shower cause wife was not moving yet. Running behind called down to desk to bump shuttle from 5 to 5:30, we hadn't been scheduled for the 5. Knowing that breakfast would not be out before we had to leave in the morning, I had packed a lunch box with Morningstar Farms veggie sausage that I could cook in the microwave and some crackers and peanut butter and cheese sticks, just so we could get some protein in our bellies quickly before boarding the plane. Made it to the lobby at 5:15 and got Curtis, the night desk guy, to hook Abcde up with some milk while I greedily chugged coffee. Side note, I really like the coffee served at Hampton Inn. We loaded our bags, one big green suitcase, one paisley LL BEAN backpack, one vintage green LL BEAN back pack, one CPAP and one car seat in the back of the shuttle and were on our way. Arriving at the airport, we found an empty scale and surprise, surprise the suitcase was over weight. A quick redistribution and our carry-ons weighed more and the bag should pass inspection.
1st day in LA
After the line to check the bag it seems it had gained weight and we were over again. But the guy checking us in waived the over weight fee and the waived the fee for a checked bag! He said it was because Caroline had the Delta credit card but I think it was an overdose of Abcde cuteness early in the morning because Caroline did not have the annual fee card that gives free bags and what employee wouldn't recognize the perk card vs the non perk card. We breezed through security without having to remove shoes, belts, artificial limbs or anything... Don't ask me why but it was a nice change of pace after years of feeling like I should put on a hospital gown and turn my head and cough to board a plane. Down 2 escalators, that Abcde enjoyed, on and off of a train that she loved and then on and off and on and off and on and off of a moving side walk that she adored we reached our gate and then continued to ride the moving side walk back and forth until it was time to reluctantly say goodbye and board the plane. The flight was nearly full but the stewardesses moved the guy sitting in our aisle seat elsewhere and we had 3 seats for the 2.5 of us. I watched League of Assassins while Caroline and Abcde slept and then after they awoke we began playing musical chairs as mi monito would not sit still. We landed a little after 8am local time and my ears were useless. They had not and would not readjust to ambient pressure for hours leaving me mostly deaf for the time being. We reacquired the car seat and big green suitcase and then stepping outside, found Karina and Joel.
Embassy Suites Downey
After I practically jumped in front if the enterprise shuttle, were on our way to the rented car. We were given a Hyundai hatchback and had just enough space in the back for our bags. Strapped in and ready to go we headed in search of food. Joel found a place with his phone and with hum navigating we arrived to have some Good Stuff. I had the fish tacos, Caroline the Mexican combo and some sweet potato fries with ranch. Karina and Joel had breakfast cause it was still early for them. Back in the car Joel took over the driving and we saw the beach nearby and then on to Venice by way of Marina del Rey and Marina del Mar. Eventually we headed to Joel's house for a cookout. On the way Abcde lost her cool and got so bad that I might have freed her from her carseat and held her to calm her down. At Joel's we met the children, Selina and Andres and Karina's father Eduardo and sister Illiana. Abcde ran around like she had been incarcerated for years and Caroline and I availed ourselves to our first adult beverages in California. Eduardo was our chef for the evening and we feasted on quesadillas and then steak tacos. Finally we neared the metaphysical wall and before we three Kentuckians fell asleep on the ground we took our little rental down the road to the Embassy Suites Downey. Our room was great and by 8:30 we were all down for the count.





Cookout Cookout (1) Cookout (2) Taking off from Cincinnati

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb