Los Angeles and Environs


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
December 4th 2013
Published: December 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Back in LA we hit Trader Vic’s for our tiki lounge experience. Well it was an experience and after all we had never had a mai tai which actually is a pretty strong drink.



The next day was a museum day including the LACMA (the LA County Museum of Art) which is huge and open on Fridays until 10pm and the Petersen automobile museum. Sandwiched(if you’ll pardon the pun) in between the museums was a visit to a group of food trucks parked between the museums and including an amazing variety of food offerings from lobster rolls to philly cheese steak to Mexican food. All the trucks were very clean-definitely worth a visit. Best thing about the Petersen museum was the exhibit about the development of California car culture. Best thing about the LACMA was the variety of exhibits from Indian and Tibetan art to European and North American painting and sculpture to photography and film exhibits. This is a huge museum. Check out the internet before you go and pick and choose what you want to see.



Travel tip: Driving in LA demands your full attention especially on the freeways. Exits can often be very short and curvy. When traffic is reaching gridlock, some motorcyclists seem to like to ride between cars- not in one lane or the other and this can prove hazardous when you are making a lane change. Hold your lane position and check your mirrors.



There are many car shows celebrating different aspects of California car culture. We checked out one in Riverside California where there were not only vintage hot rod and low-rider cars and trucks but drivers who live the culture-complete with vintage fashions and hairdos.



Of course we had to drive Mulholland drive and Topanga Canyon toward Malibu. Our favorite? Topanga Canyon- much better road. Even though Mulholland Drive has some spectacular views as well as houses it is not in good condition and can be a bumpy ride.



We were on our way to the Getty Villa –open on Mondays- a replica of a 1st century AD roman villa. With both Getty museums- the Villa in Malibu and the Museum in Los Angeles admission is free but parking is $15. If you plan to do both in the same day one parking fee covers both museums but believe me that is a lot of viewing for one day. Both museums are exceptionally well run with excellent docent tours and free audio guides- definitely must-sees.

Travel tip: Parking must be booked in advance for the Getty Villa and it can only be accessed from the northbound lanes of the Pacific Cost Highway.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb