United Airlines + LAX = Headache


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
February 9th 2010
Published: February 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This one is for Mike.

So I needed to write this blog to get something out of my system. On the way to Whistler we lost our luggage - scratch that - United Airlines and LAX lost our luggage. Which we’re told happens a lot. But my problem is that they shouldn't have.
We flew from Sydney to LAX via QANTAS (great flight on a brand new plane) and had to get our checked baggage in LAX to clear customs - standard Homeland Security procedure. On our way to our connecting terminal, we had to re-check our bags and drop them in a connecting baggage spot - which of course as everything in LAX is under constant construction was a closet behind dividers where some guy was just taking bags and throwing them into a room with a conveyor. Being in automation I think I'm required to have faith in computerized systems - they are based on rules, and assuming that things are correct on our baggage tags (which said our bags should arrive in Vancouver with our flight number, AC4493) I assumed our bags would arrive in Vancouver with us.
I assumed wrong.
First problem: despite the fact that our flight was booked with Air Canada, we traveled with United Airlines (i.e. different flight code). One of those “operated by” deals. Not a huge deal - except that QANTAS booked with Air Canada so we had Air Canada flight details on our luggage tags. And once we gave our bags to the dude in the closet, we couldn't get them back. And we didn't know we weren't actually flying on an Air Canada plane until we ended up being spun around LAX between ticket counters. That's problem #1.
Second Problem: Evidently airlines don’t fix known problems. We arrived in Vancouver without our bags accompanied by three people also flying from Australia (booked on the same set of flights) who also arrived without their bags. When we talked with the lost baggage counter people (who were nice) he informed us “we see this same problem happen all the time. I’m just a peon, they will never listen to me” (lets hope airplane mechanics aren't on the same level of quality feedback as these guys).
OK. Airlines lose bags, I understand. But this is really just computer code. Someone could write a piece of code to make sure this doesn’t happen again. How much did this cost United? We asked, and it is $75/bag to get it couriered to Whistler, plus the time and effort of people in LAX, India (as I called their call center twice to get updates), and Vancouver Airport to get our bags to the courier. They were also going to throw $100 flight vouchers at us - which I politely declined, as I will try to avoid flying United Airlines in the near future. Conservative estimate: maybe $500/bag? We had four bags. The guys beside us each had 2 bags, along with another lady. If this happens every flight from Sydney to Vancouver (say 4 passengers a week) that could be upwards of $10,000/month United is spending on a problem that they know how to fix. Not to mention the customer satisfaction issues from consistently losing bags.
Keep that in mind, people flying from Sydney to LAX and to transfer ANYWHERE. If you’re connecting flight is with Air Canada via United Airlines….be weary. Or change flights.
Don't believe me? Check out this you-tube of a guy who had a way more creative way to ensure United took care of his luggage (which happened to be a guitar).
In the meantime. I will be offering PLC programming, heavy lifting, or geotechnical engineering (via Mike D) if any of these services helps United fix this problem.


Advertisement



15th February 2010

Nice one Eric
I am already starting to dread the 14 flights that we have to go through to get back to Toronto. Luckily, none of them are with United Airlines. Sometimes things deserve to go bankrupt.

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb