Getting to LA for Christmas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
December 23rd 2009
Published: December 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This year we decided to fly standby to LA for Christmas. Big mistake!!!

Our son Dave is a pilot for Continental and we get free coach travel anywhere in the world that Continental flies. Standby used to be relatively easy. Now the planes are most full all of the time. We wanted fly to LA on Sunday, December 20 because we had a party on Saturday night that we did not want to miss.

With continental, we have to fly through Houston to get anywhere. There are 4 flights a day from Colorado Springs to Houston and many flights from Houston to LA We can logon to a special Continental web site for employee family members to book and check flight for standby The last flight at 4:45 had 11 seats 4 days before we were to fly, and the earlier flights were booked to capacity.

Unfortunataly there was a monster storm in the east coast, so the whole country was a mess for flying. We decided to try and get on the 11am flight and then the 2pm and hopefully the 4:45pm. When we fly standby, we are prepared to fly separately and meet at the other end. We didn't get on the 11 or 2 pm flights. There was a good posibility that we would get on the 4:45 flight.

I had my laptop with me and I decided to check flights from Houston to LA. Every flight from Houston to LA were oversold by 10 because of the bad weather in the east. Monday and Tuesday were just an bad.

I checked the Frontier web site and there was a flight leaving Colorado Springs at 7pm so we bought 2 one-way tickets for $267 each. We had to exit the TSA area to check in with Frontier. I went to the Continental desk and they said that they would transfer our luggage to Frontier. We saved $40 by having the luggage transfered. We do not pay for the first bag with Continental while Frontier charges $20 each.

I was assured that the luggage would be transferred. We then went to Frontier and got our boarding passes. I asked about the luggage and was assured that they would get it. Before we took off I was again asured that the luggage was on board.

So we flew to LA via Denver. We got to LA at 11pm and there was no luggage. After the last bag was unloaded, I decide to walk down to the Continental baggage claim, which was the next carosselle. It had come in on an earlier flight.

A very long day, but we got there. We plan to fly home standby, so wish us luck

We spent a day at the beach with Dave and his family. They are spending Christmas with Jill's brother Dave who lives about 5 houses from the beach in Hermosa Beach.

Merry Christmas to all.

Advertisement



24th December 2009

Terry
Terry wanted to tell you both Merry Christmas and he misses all of his family. xoxox Tell all your kids hi from Colorado. By the way this is realy a nice page, keep up the good work. Good luck on your return trip. see you then.
24th December 2009

Perseverance
This trip was will go down in your stories as a true adventure. Best thing, you're together at your desitination with Family! Merry Christmas and wishes for a better return travel home.
24th December 2009

Merry Christmas
So glad you finally made it despite the hazards. There are hazards even with having a ticket. Dave hasn't changed a bit. I think I would know him anywhere. I'm not that sure about Russell though. We are having a blizzard! Merry Christmas

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb