Living Large


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early and showered by about 8am. During breakfast, Lauren and Allyn wanted coffee so Amy went next door and borrowed the neighbors' coffee machine. While she was gone, Allyn and Lauren went out onto the patio. A very loud alarm sounded! They weren't sure what was going on so we all traipsed upstairs and asked Amy what was going on. "Ok, they're testing the fire alarms this morning at 8am. Sorry, I forgot." Throughout breakfast, numerous apartment alarms went off through the building. But Peanut Butter Puffins and coffee made everyone happy to start the day. We set off for Redondo Beach and got out and took pics of surfers and the pier. Even got to take pictures with a VW van that had been "chopped" to fit a surf board.

Back in the car, we headed for Beverly Hills to have lunch at The Ivy. Our reservation wasn't until 11:30am so we went into the Surly Girls boutique--and got yelled at for trying to take a picture of Lauren trying on trendy sunglasses. In order to secure a table outside, we went to The Ivy a bit early. We were seated in a prime location along the fence. We ordered our drinks and the waiter informed us that the electricity in the kitchen wasn't working so he wasn't sure if we'd be able to order. We decided to stick around and hope! We enjoyed the people watching and our drinks and eventually he retured to say that we could order as the electricity had come back on. Amy and I ordered mesquite grilled halibut--mine with lime and herb sauce, hers with cajun seasoning, Lauren had the cold poached salmon, and Allyn had the grilled vegetable salad with shrimp. We thought someone famous would get our of one of the Rolls Royces or the Escalade with a driver but alas, they did not.

Then it was time for dessert! We had White Chocolate Lemon Cake and LA Desserts Praline Ice Cream with Hot Fudge Sauce and a Pecan Square. Both were excellent! On the whole it was a fabulous meal and experience. We even had a tremendous laugh when the bill came. Thanks, Mr. Burke!

From The Ivy, we drove down Sunset Boulevard through nice neighborhoods past the Beverly Hills Hotel and on into West Hollywood. West Hollywood is kind of trashy and we could
Looking southLooking southLooking south

The point in the background is Palos Verdes, south of Redondo Beach where we were standing.
definitely tell when we had crossed the "border." Then onto Hollywood. Amy pointed out sights--including the Chateau Marmont where Lindsay Lohan lived while her place was being readied. We parked at the Hollywood and Highland parking deck and got on the Galactic Express--cheesy name for the shuttle bus up to the Griffith Observatory. Amy had booked tickets online for us so that we could go see great views of the LA megalopolis. The actual observatory has been around since the 30s and has played a role as a backdrop for movies--James Dean had a fight scene here in Rebel Without A Cause. The observatory sits on the western slope of Mt. Hollywood and we took great pics of the Holywood sign from here. We rode the shuttle back and were able to check out Mann's Chinese Theatre and the Kodak Theater. There were sooooo many people in this area, not only because of the theaters, but also because of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It was very cool to see the different stars but also to laugh at the juxtapositions...I think it was Michael Jackson that was next to Annette Benning. Made me chuckle!

We jumped back in the
Cosmo likes the viewCosmo likes the viewCosmo likes the view

of Palos Verdes from the beach.
car and drove back through Beverly Hills on our way to Santa Monica. We saw the building where Amy used to work for Montgomery and Company--but no more! Her last day of work was the day we arrived! We parked a couple blocks away from Ocean Avenue and then walked over to get a sweeping view of the beach and pier. The beach was significantly below us and the pier was off to the left. We contemplated going to the pier but decided not to cos there seemed to be a ridiculous amount of people already there.

Allyn and Lauren went back to Amy's to pack and have an early night while Amy and I headed south to Huntington Beach to meet up with our cousing Tiffany and her boyfriend Mike. We had a good time catching up with Tiffany and getting to know Mike before heading back to Amy's place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

ThumbsThumbs
Thumbs

Cosmo wished he had opposable thumbs so that he could have driving the VW van.
Our tableOur table
Our table

None of us can believe that we're actually having lunch at The Ivy. In fact, we still can't.
Lunch was fabulousLunch was fabulous
Lunch was fabulous

But who's the random girl who decided to look toward the camera to be completely obvious that she was in our picture?!?!?
Mr. CosmoMr. Cosmo
Mr. Cosmo

Cosmo got star treatment at The Ivy. he had a prime location at the fence to enjoy people watching and being seen.
Amy and me in the sunAmy and me in the sun
Amy and me in the sun

Walking along Rodeo Drive.
PosingPosing
Posing

Work it, Allyn! :-)
Beautiful StreetsBeautiful Streets
Beautiful Streets

Why doesn't Winston have more palm tree-lined streets?
HollywoodHollywood
Hollywood

The Hollywood sign is little, but it's there!
DizzyDizzy
Dizzy

Uh oh. Cosmo doesn't like heights. Looking out over the city made him dizzy but he quite liked looking at the Hollywood sign.


9th August 2007

who does cosmo belong to?
Looks like you had a great time. I LOVe the cosmo pics.
9th August 2007

Cosmo
Cosmo belonged to Allyn cos of the stress fracture in her femur.
9th August 2007

Always fun and exciting
Mary you always have the best stories to tell
10th August 2007

Love your motto!
14th August 2007

Great pictures! Cosmo is hot. Is he single?... bummer - back to NC. I'll be joining you shortly! We'll have to meet up soon. :)

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb