On the Pacific Highway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
January 21st 2007
Published: January 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Christine and I are now travelling south from San Francisco along Highway 1, which hugs the coast all the way to Los Angeles. San Francisco was terrific. We cycled along the bay and over the Golden Gate Bridge, visited Alcatraz, joined the shoppers in China Town and met lots of people at the hostel. The weather is gorgeous...cold but wonderfully clear and sunny. The locals are talking a lot about unusual weather conditions. There has been snow in Malibu and 70% of the fruit crop in California is frost damaged. But believe me, it's not like any winter weather I'm used to.
Stayed in Monterey, about 95 miles south of San Francisco. This is Steinbeck country. Our hostel was right by Canary Row. Visited a fantastic aquarium, which is a model for how to make nature accessible to kids. I have never seen so many happy faces.
The drive along Big Sur is wonderful, a mixture of mountains and sea scapes. Ended up accidentally stopping at a beach which is home to a colony of hundreds of breeding elephant seals.
We just love hostelling. Last night we stayed in a small house with about 15 of the most interesting people. Everyone mucks in and the conversations go on into the night. Gave a lift to an Irishman from Cork who, like us is travelling to LA. Great company. Now in Santa Monica, which is just like it appears on the movies, except that protesters have added 3000 wooden crosses to the beach to represent the number of US soldiers killed in Iraq. Roller blading along the beach tomorrow. Weather remains fantastic for January. Will try and add some photos when I work out how to do it.

Advertisement



22nd January 2007

No upper age limit on renting roller blades?
Roller blading, taking Brand Beckham to La La Land faster than you can say "posh bob"...you'll be having yoga lessons on the beach next! Have you been for dinner at the Pope table yet?
25th January 2007

hello
Great to read your blog and you are having a fantastic time. We have snow here in Bramhall and it was down to -5C on Monday night. The hills towards Lyme Park look beautiful. Have fun!
28th January 2007

Keep on truckin'...
Sounds great, enjoy. Your missing nothing at home but gale force winds and ship wrecks. It's calmed down now and is a bit warmer, 8 or 9 C. Cheers. PH
30th January 2007

New Zealand Bound
Give my best to N Z ..I was there 10 years ago this year. Abit early for Snow? All the best Phil
16th February 2007

lookin good
The pictures look brill keep em coming. xxxx
20th February 2007

Best wishes from Manchester uk
Hi Jim and christine. Just sean here from trinity high wishing you have a great trip. may God continue to guide you and protect you always. May you have favor where ever you go.And that the peace of the lord will be with you always. Enjoy life live good with all men and show love,grace and mercy where ever you go. God Bless sean(tech)rodgers
25th May 2007

Great travelling
Great to see such stunning photo's and read all your news. Keep up the info. flow. Come back soon as Sven Goran Erikson is threatening to come to Man City. I'd rather have Gilly! Au revoir!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb