in the Hollywood Hills at last


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 16 May
time for these boots to get walking as have been so slack! Decided an all day metro pass for $5 - a trip is otherwise $1.25 - was best for convenience and hop on-hop off, However first had to eat last night's Japanese fried and teriyaki chicken remnants - along with some rather fiery tuna/chillli sushi rolls. Got the boys at the Hill St Cafe - which otherwise does the free b'fast for hotel guests - and is met with somewhat less than acclaim by web reviews - to heat it up. I did not relaise that styrofoam melts in the microwave - did you know that? - thanks lads. Then over to Union Station and as there was quite a lot happening stopped at El Pueblo area - lots of Spanish stalls selling Dia de Muertos - Day of Death festival T-shirts. On way found a shop in Chinatown for a stainless steel cup so I do not suffer tea in a plastic disposable cup - shame! Then to Union and headed for North Hollywood on the red line. Stopped cos I could at Vermont/Beverly - nohing there but streets with ars and a Ford delaer selling some Mustangs - incl. Shelbys John - but mostly new Hyundai's-some new ones not bad and quite swoopy. Then on to 2 stops to Vermont/Sunset - which was mdical/Scientology central! - Kaiser Medical - the LA kids hospital - and I think the main Scientology church - a couple hanging around on the corner left me alone and did not suggest a personality test - I must not look that much of a loser! (- despite appearances). Even on Hollywood Boulevard they seem to have quite a big presence - I blame Tom Cruise etc!

Then onwards to Hollywood and Vine - that iconic address. The Metro has quite a lot of commissioned art at its stations and this was mostly all custom tiles of strange fantasy cars and people/animals driving them - at least they got that bit right! The rather magnificent Pantages theatre is right across the road - then the Capitol records bldg just around the corner. I continued up the Vine hill a little way to find some LA missed by the Boulevard tourists. Some great old 30's bldgs around and some real funky old apartment blocks from that period. This was what I appreciated about Hollywood Boulevard mostly, the old buildings. Most of it is completely tack - the usual Tshirt and souvenir shops - the odd “smoke” shop selling bongs and the inevitable tattoo/skin art (?!) salons. But then the magnificent old theatres - some only existing above the awnings with junk below. Obviously the Egyptian which had a Kurosawa old double bill which had just started but which would have put me to sleep. Saw a playhouse with a Bergman play but the show was well gone as started at 3pm (it was Sunday). The Capitan Theatre etc - made the new home of the Academy's the Kodak look like a mall (which it is). Then down to the Grauman Theatre - and only belatedly realised - oh right, this is where people put their hands and feet in cement. The Tussauds was next door - but you won't catch Mr Mink in any of these tourist traps, oh no. He's too busy trying to snap old bldgs in side streets man - what a pseud!

As it was getting on to dark I have really appreciated the low light capacities of the new Canon SLR- which has to be cranked
Hollywood & Vine metroHollywood & Vine metroHollywood & Vine metro

the ceiling is old film reels!
down usually at least 1 stop for night shots otherwise it looks far brighter than it actually is. At 8.30pm dinner beckoned and I was wondering whether I would hike back to the sushi place designed by Starck - hey man, can you eat décor?! Or another place or two near Vine - the institution Musso and Frank Grill (est. 1914) seemed closed Sun&Mon - so it was to Loteria, a Mexican place I went. Nice décor and open bar - good staff - the black guy who served me warned me off a burrito on top of a “small” soup unless you are “really hungry”. Having experienced American over-portions already took his advice and got 2 tacos instead - these were soft open things about the size of pikelets with meat filling on top. The soup was a spicy pork and corn ($7 for small - I would hate to see big for $11- with a lot of pig bits in it - and very little corn). I started with a margarita classica then moved on to a dark Mexican beer - Negra something. All very nice - then how could I resist the tequila icecream?? No chocolate available so it ended there for a little over $40 w/o tip - much better than the italian Capri in Venice for $65. Had a couple of raps with the serve guy about cameras too as he had just bought a Canon SLR.

Time for the Metro - last one at 1.05am on a Sunday which is quite good (11.04 for me thank). Don't no-one tell you that LA does not have public transport cos it works fine - just have to timetable it a bit. Some hippy later strapped on an electric gitar in our carriage and decided he was going to disturb out peace with a sorta Doors sounding song - and get a tip as well - no way Jose!

I had just missed the last double decker bus tip opposite metro - normally $25 which did not grab me greatly) so the guy said tomorrow at 10.30am for $10 - a deal, you got me. (Get to see a wider area than on foot anyway) It's 1 ½ hrs so can whizz up there, then do MOCA (Museum of Contemp Art) on way back - main plus Geffen for same day price - then off
Nido AltoNido AltoNido Alto

(and Puff Daddy's car?)
to the ball game. Wow, Mr Mink get a rocket after slothful tourista activity so far. annex for same day price - then off to the ball game. Wow, Mr Mink gets a rocket and gets going after slothful tourista activity so far.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Rest innRest inn
Rest inn

Santa Fe style bide-a-wee


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb