Hollywood


Advertisement
Published: March 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

March 15: Drive to LA



This morning we got dressed to be “discovered” in Hollywood. Surprisingly, we ran into a bit of traffic as we entered the city. And, as I learned at the beginning of the trip, Glenn does not cope well with traffic. But, we survived.

Our hotel was blocks from the famous Grauman’s Chinese Theatre and Hollywood Walk of Fame. Many locals take advantage of the star-struck tourists by dressing up on their days off as characters from our favorite movies. Since we arrived on a Saturday, there were a fair few there. Some were more convincing than others. We saw characters using Sharpie markers on their skin to camouflage the wear & tear evident in their costumes. Batman painted his thumb black and siderman drew some red on his pointer finger.

Back at the hotel getting ready for our first night in LA, Glenn asked me what he should wear. Expecting LA to be a trendy place like other cosmopolitan cities I've been to, I told him jeans & a button-up. After observing the locals a bit, we realized Glenn should’ve fastened his pants below his butt and worn the most colorful boxers he has. Our dinner at Hooters of Hollywood had its fair share of boobies as well as butts and boxers hanging off the surrounding seats.

Hooters wasn’t where we imagined ourselves eating on our first night in Hollywood, but once the sun set I had a few misgivings about the area. I’ll admit I was scared; I asked Glenn to go back to the hotel, order pizza and watch a movie. Those “characters” get scarier after dark. The glamorous Hollywood Walk that we expected was more of a strip of tattoo parlors and punk clothing.

Standing at a crosswalk waiting to cross the street a black guy comes up to Glenn and casually starts making conversation. As the experienced travelers we are we noticed the binder under his arm and told him we weren't interested in what he was selling. We gave him a simple and polite "no thank you, mate." The next thing out of the man's mouth was an accusatory "what, you have a problem with black people?!" Looking around, remember we're experienced travelers, we also noticed that we were waiting to cross the street with a large group black people. Luckily, the light changed
Brittana & Harry PotterBrittana & Harry PotterBrittana & Harry Potter

Brittana at Gruaman's Theatre with the hand prints of the Harry Potter trio.
that second.

We discovered why there aren’t more Hooters in Australia: they cut Glenn off after six beers and cut me off after only 4 mixed drinks. As Glenn kept winging, this would never last in Australia.

The next day only confirmed that I do not like LA; I like Beverly Hills. In Beverly Hills, they feel that telephone lines are unsightly, so they are buried underground. The number of Ferraris, Jaguars, Bentleys, etc, also made Beverly Hills a bit more attractive than Hollywood. Turn the corner back into Hollywood and it’s yuck again. Our view of Beverly Hills came from atop a Hop On-Hop Off Bus tour.

On our last day in Los Angeles we took a Star’s Homes tour. Our driver was pretty cute in that she was an Asian woman who was slightly hard to understand, and had laminated copies of tabloid magazines to refresh our memory of all the stars & their greatest moments. For instance, she showed us tabloid photos of Lindsay crashing into the tree & then pointed out "Lindsay's Tree." We saw Gwen Stefani driving home in her car, Tom Cruise’s House, and Christina Aguilera moving into her new house—Ozzy
Glenn & ShatnerGlenn & ShatnerGlenn & Shatner

Glenn with William Shatner's star (Boston Legal--"Denny Crane")
Osbourne’s old home. We also saw one home that had 15 Ferraris parked in the drive way; as we drove by our guide sang "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday...." He had a different color Ferrari for every day of the week, and then some. It was the closest I've ever seen Glenn to crying. No, he didn't cry, but he did say it was a damn shame to have them all in just ONE driveway.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Oh no!! They've Got Glenn!!Oh no!! They've Got Glenn!!
Oh no!! They've Got Glenn!!

Oh, and where's all the rum gone?!
Don't tell Brittana!Don't tell Brittana!
Don't tell Brittana!

Brittana took the picture you idiot!
Home Sweet HomeHome Sweet Home
Home Sweet Home

Glenn says "this picture says it all" when explaining why I wouldn't like a train ride to the Bronx in NY.
Santa Monica Pier Santa Monica Pier
Santa Monica Pier

Yes, Glenn, you do take good sunset pictures.
Not Fair!!Not Fair!!
Not Fair!!

There 15 Ferraris in this driveway!


Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb