Going home today


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » Anaheim
January 24th 2011
Published: January 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today is our last day after 1 month, we leave LA at 9pm tonight and arrive in Sydney at 6.35am on Australia Day.
We've enjoyed our last days here with Sue, Boy and Rose. On Saturday we went to San Diego, on the way we stopped at a lookout with lot's of squirrels and a shopping outlet complex, I was able to get a good buy on some shirts. We then continued to San Diego stopping at a nice park for some photos then collected Rose from the airport. San Diego is about an hour and a half drive from Anaheim, the traffic was OK so we weren't held up. Our first stop after getting Rose was Broadway Pier where the cruise ships dock, there was a market there and a band playing, there wasn't much in the way of food though so we went to the 'Gas Lamp' district where there was more choice plus a Westfields shopping mall. I had a BLTA (bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado) on sourdough, it was just OK but a bit overpriced, Eleanors chicken terryaki was better. The area was formerly and red light district that has now been rebirthed into a trendy area with restaurants, bars and shops. On the way back to Anaheim we stopped at another shopping mall and were able to find UFC shirts for Chief, we'd looked everywhere for these without success so it was a good find.
Yesterday (Sunday) Boy and I went to Huntington Pier, it was about a half hour drive from the house. There were some pretty good waves there, I was able to get a few shots. The weather was nice and sunny but the water must have been pretty cold, all the surfers had full length wet suits and some had booties. After having a good look around the pier we stopped at the nearby PERQS Sports bar for some lunch. They had $2 beers and light food , there was a nice selection of blanched veges with a ranch dressing plus hot dogs . We had three beers each plus food, the bill was only $16.50, that's the cheapest bar I've been to in the States. There was a NFL game on, Green Bay Packers vs Chicago, Green Bay got an early break of 13 points and went on to win the game 24 to 19. On the way back home we stopped in for a one hour $15 massage (plus $5 tip), it was a relaxing massage, not too intense. Dinner was at a local Thai restaurant, it was a buffet and the selection was good including chilli crab and some tasty fish fillets in a spicy sauce.
Today we will do a bit more shopping, can't buy much though as we are hitting our limit of 23 kg per bag already. We'll have an early dinner then head out to the airport, I've already checked in online so hopefully we'll get through reasonably quickly.
Eleanor and I have enjoyed the holiday and the weather has been great, not as cold as I expected and very little rain. Tomorrow we will be back in Australia and I'll probably have to mow the lawn, at least I have a few days at home before I'm back to work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



25th January 2011

Welcome back to Sydney
Thanks Glen....it's been great reading all your blogs. We were disappointed that we could not join you guys but you made us feel as though we are there you understand now that Anthony now with the navy he was able to spend one month with us over Christmas & New Year. We did not think it was right not to be here as you never know where he will be in years to come at the festive season...maybe so we have to take this opportunity. See you when you get home.....

Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 54; dbt: 0.2137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb