Moving On Salton Sea


Advertisement
Published: January 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We left our camp site at Jumbo Rocks and headed south to Cottonwood Springs where Emily hoped to get tickets to the Keys Ranch Tour. They did not know whether there were tours on Saturday (our return day). The Ranger had to contact another location not by land line or cell phone or radio, but by the Internet using satellite. We saw no telephone lines or cell towers in our travels and the campground at Jumbo Rocks had nothing other than pit toilets to offer as as camper services. Yes, we were in Boondock country and now loving it.

We were off to a few days in the area surrounding Salton Sea. This was a large below sea level inland lake (-228) formed by the overflows of the Colorado River. The area was once a popular get-away recreation area for many SoCal families, however as the salinity of the lake increased and fresh water fish died off, the area became less and less attractive.

We spent the night at a very large, expensive KOA. It was also rated less than a 5 on the Dennis scale, but we were able to use a full-size shower and do the laundry. There were also full hook-ups making life in the trailer a bit more civilized – no conservation and could even use the TV for DVD viewing as we continued our trip through Italian cities.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb