Redwoods and Curvy Roads


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After hemming and hawing, we decided to make the long trek up to see the Redwoods. We didn’t go all the way up to Eureka, but did go 4 hrs up north to Humbolt National Forest. They have the 4th tallest redwood living in that forest. In fact, one out of every five redwoods live in this forest! We took the Avenue of the Giants which is the scenic drive through the forest. So glad we drove up! These trees are seriously tall! Not as big around as the sequoias, but still huge compared to an average tree. One of the redwoods had fallen across a ravine and formed a natural bridge you could walk over! We saw some magnificent sites – trees you could walk in, walk on, some that had fallen and the roots were 20-ft high, and, yes, we drove our van through a tree! We had to stop and take the top carrier off, but it did finally fit.We ended up driving through the tree 3 times by the time the camera/video worked correctly!

After our fill of the redwoods, we drove across this very, VERY curvy road through the mountains to the coast to
Our first Redwood!Our first Redwood!Our first Redwood!

Not as big around as the Sequoias, but still pretty darn big - and much taller!
drive the Pacific Coast Highway. So we are going along FOREVER, we are starving, it is dusk and people are feeling a bit nauseous. We get out of the hills to get our first glimpse of the coast and it is…fogged in! We can’t see hardly anything! Not good for the morale L We drove from the end of Route 1 to Fort Bragg – the fog did break up a bit for us to see some of the coastal cliffs. The roads are amazing – how curvy and twisty they are with very little between you and the drop-off! So, a bit out of the way with not the greatest of rewards, but still worth it. We arrived at Michael’s house around 11:30 with some very tired travelers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb