Fitzgerald Marine Reserve to Big Sur


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.4636, -122.427

Up and fixed our usual breakfast. Talked to a couple that were going down to check out the tidepools right down from the lighthouse. It was extreme low tide and so we decided to check them out ourselves.

There were sea stars everywhere as well as sea anemones. They were so beautiful to look at. It was misting and there was fog across the ocean and you could hear the mournful bleat of the lighthouse warning the sailors away.

Got packed up, and headed out toward Big Sur. It had been recommended that we check out the James V. Fitzgerald Marine Reserve and so we did. The tide was way out and the seals had hauled themselves out and were resting on the rocks. There was a group to near the seals and the ranger had to go send them on their way.

We saw sea stars, anemones and some other marine life that we did not have the names for. The rocks we were walking on were very slippery and you had to be very careful. There was a group of school kids with a docent that was showing them a "real" predator. She kept saying this over and over and as I tried to get closer to see what this predator was, oooooooooooops down she went-scope and all.

Fortunately, once again no real damage except pants, shoes and socks were wet. Did get to see the real predator but did not get a name for it. Did comment as getting up from the fall......this is why the docent was warning you to be careful. You see had the fall in front of the schoolkids and they stood there mouths open. Kinda funny.

Changed pants and socks and we were on our way again toward Big Sur. A few stops along the way for groceries in Santa Cruz. We also stopped at the Bixby Bridge and took pics of teh dramatic coastline.

There are always so many beautiful sights as you drive along it is hard to make really great time.

After Point Sur Lighthouse one enters Big Sur Valley and the redwoods close in !

We arrived at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park through an even closer in tunnel of beautiful Redwoods. Set up our tent and fixed dinner, grateful to be back in one of the most beautiful places on earth!



Additional photos below
Photos: 127, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

low tide attractionslow tide attractions
low tide attractions

tide is starting to move in
low tide attractionslow tide attractions
low tide attractions

these sea anemones were something to see
seals that have hauled out to restseals that have hauled out to rest
seals that have hauled out to rest

we learned these guys have no appendages so this is a very tiring process and they do need their rest and are not really lazy


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb