San Juan Bautistia


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Gilroy
October 7th 2017
Published: October 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

blog 10-07-17 San Juan Bautista

Phyllis came over this morning for a breakfast of oatmeal pancakes and sausage, it was a great start to the day. We were being treated to another tour, this time going to the local "Old West Town" named San Juan Bautista. There was an old mission there where monks would travel on the El Camino Real from mission to mission 21 in all and this is one of them. It was established in the summer of 1797 and has withstood fire, earthquakes and time. The Alfred Hitchcock's movie Vertigo was filmed on the Mission grounds in Oct, 1957.

I will include lots of pictures and let them tell the story. It is truly an amazing place with so much history. The cemetery, which was very moving for me, was installed in 1808 and thought to contain 4300 burials dating through the 1930s, all unmarked. There were 2 pure white doves flying over the cemetery and rousted on an upper windowsill of the church.

We enjoyed the gardens, the museum, the church and the cemetery, all part of a self guided tour. There were 2 baptisms taking place in the church, beautiful to see. Being in the church was very comforting and special to both of us.

We decided to have lunch at a local restaurant and were escorted into the courtyard surrounded by vine covered fence and walls, shaded by huge trees and colorful umbrellas. The floor was old tile and there were flowering plants everywhere. Phyllis showed us the back garden all closed off and set up for an afternoon wedding reception. There were clear lights overhead, white tablecloths, silver and crystal on the tables and gorgeous plants everywhere. Married in the mission church then have your reception at this incredible outdoor venue, WOW.

We each had a tostada salad and enjoyed it immensely. Then we headed home to give the boys a break from the camper. We transported them to Phyllis's backyard where they could run around til they collapsed, even had some green grass to roll in.

While the kids were playing we played Rummikub and tried to work off some of our delicious lunches. All too soon it was time to go back to our camper and start getting ready to pack up for our trip tomorrow to Yosemite. We may not have cell or internet service so if no blog, not to worry, it will be posted soon.

As I'm sitting here writing this the smell of garlic is overwhelming. Every morning and evening the smell of garlic permeates the air from the processing plant not far away. It really makes you hungry, even in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb