Day 7: Petaluma CA to Eureka CA - Through the Redwoods


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Eureka
July 2nd 2010
Published: July 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Petaluma Sketchy Motel 6Petaluma Sketchy Motel 6Petaluma Sketchy Motel 6

Should have known that we were in a bad hood when the po-po patrol the parking lot every half hour.
Well, we made it through the night without getting murdered in our beds. Apparently we were in a not so nice area of Petaluma last night - put it this way: the cops patrolled the motel parking lot frequently! To make up for it, we are installed in the Best Western in Eureka CA tonight - very nice room with all the bells and whistles. Cost a little more of course but we get limo service to and from dinner! Coincidentally, it is our 16th wedding anniversary today so it is sort of fitting!

So the day started with a stop at the Petaluma speedy lube to borrow a wrench so Russ could fix my peg, and then we were off back toward the 1 highway (coast highway). We spend the morning high above the ocean twisting and turning. The ocean is turquoise blue on this stretch and most amazing scenery. You could stop and take pictures at every vista point, truly amazing! We made it to Gulala for lunch - planned as we wanted to go to Bones bar and grill again but shocked to have found that the original Bones burned down at some point over the past year and they have opened a new one - but the atmosphere is sadly lacking. All the original decor burned in the fire including the skelton on the motorbike! Rusty was crushed! Anyway, we met a couple of young guys travelling with a gorgeous dog and had a chat - nice boys - I hope they make it to their destination: the Redwood music festival.

After lunch we tackled the Redwoods - this was the most amazing ride of the day. Spectacular curves in a covered forest lined with redwood trees. Simply stunning! I really mastered my sharp turns on this route - found myself being able to handle them a lot easier than last year. We took a break at the Grandfather Tree rest stop and enjoyed a frozen latte and someRestaurant! trail mix!

Onward to Eureka! We stayed here on an extended visit last year when my bike broke down. Checked into our lovely hotel and took the hotel limo to dinner at the Sea Grill. Fantastic dinner! It wasn't a day heavy with photos as we didn't stop all that much but I will post what I have. Hope you all are well and we
Gulala, CaGulala, CaGulala, Ca

Windy roads - and more wind!
are looking forward to getting home but still having a blast!! Tomorrow we will have a trip highlight - breakfast at the Samoa Cookhouse! YUM! Then onward Crater Lake Oregon!






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Gulala, CAGulala, CA
Gulala, CA

Gorgeous vistas on the road
Redwood ForestRedwood Forest
Redwood Forest

Enjoying a frozen latte at Grandfather Tree
Limo Ride, Eureka CALimo Ride, Eureka CA
Limo Ride, Eureka CA

Free limo ride to restaurant.
Sea Grill Restaurant EurekaSea Grill Restaurant Eureka
Sea Grill Restaurant Eureka

Rusty had Halibut, I had Mahi Mahi - very good :)


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb