From Sea Ranch to Cool


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Cool
May 14th 2010
Published: May 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Packing the car is a challenge!Packing the car is a challenge!Packing the car is a challenge!

Leigh finds a way to fit everything in the trunk and back seat.
After packing every inch of our trusty Toyota, we finally head off on our trip. The weather is beautiful and traffic is light as we head down the coast and then turn inland across the San Joaquin Valley up into the Sierra Nevada mountain range. We reach Twain Harte in the Sierra foothills around 3pm and spend the night with Lance, Leigh's brother.

The next morning we head north along Highway 49, the Gold Rush highway. We stop at Columbia State Park, which is a re-creation of a typical gold rush town, complete with saloons, stage coach and buildings of the gold rush era. We continue north through along many towns that have maintained historic districts of buildings and homes dating from the 1850's, all too often surrounded by the ugly sprawl of gas stations, fast food restaurants and shopping malls. We spend the night with Barbara Harrigan, our friend of many years, who lives in Pilot Hill, just south of Cool. Tomorrow we will be traveling through the Sierra Nevada and cross Nevada.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

View of The Sea RanchView of The Sea Ranch
View of The Sea Ranch

The Sea Ranch extends along about 11 miles of coastline.
Beach at the bottom of Jenner GradeBeach at the bottom of Jenner Grade
Beach at the bottom of Jenner Grade

Jenner Grade is the steepest of many winding grades along the coast.
Columbia State ParkColumbia State Park
Columbia State Park

Many school groups were visiting Columbia to learn about the days of the Gold Rush.
Wildflower hillWildflower hill
Wildflower hill

There are many beautiful wildflowers along the hillsides because of the late rains.
View of the SierrasView of the Sierras
View of the Sierras

Photo taken from the deck of Barbara Harrigan's house.


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb