My 2014 Travel Quotes (July to Dec)


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Clovis
December 28th 2014
Saved: May 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

So, the first half of the year went by too quickly. How about for you? We are now (June) in the dog days of summer, in the middle of a drought, and wishing for the cooler weather of Fall. Sending this in December, wet rains have finally arrived, making travel a little more difficult. For those of you residing outside of sunny California, yes, we do have four seasons!!! Here are my travel quotes for the second half of the year. Feel free to send me your favorites. I love these quotes!!!! " We are a journeying people, and one of the first steps in any journey is to leave...to let go. " by Gerhard Frost from my friend JE. Wake! The sky is light!let us to the road again . . .Companion butterfly! andNone is travellingHere along this way but I,This autumn evening.Japanese Zen poet Matsuo Basho (Matsuo Munefusa) (1644-94) from my friend GK. "Travel is the best way we have of rescuing the humanity of places, and saving them from abstraction and ideology."
- Pico Iyer, American author, from essay "Why We Travel" on Salon.com (2000) "Work is nothing but a place to rest, sandwiched between two long (bicycle) rides." by Pearl Izumi (cycling clothing and related items). "I finally earned enough miles to fly (free) to NYC. Then they raised the miles required to fly (free) to NYC" by most of us who joined frequent flyer clubs over the last 4 or 5 decades!!!! "Some men are kicked out of bars, others are kicked out of countries." dedicated to friends BJH, BV, and all of you renegades out there. "The wish to travel seems to me characteristically human: the desire to move, to satisfy your curiosity or ease your fears, to change the circumstances of your life ... to risk the unknown."Paul Theroux, "The Tao of Travel" (2011)

" My recent trip to Siberia and Russia was not a vacation, it was travel in exact definition." Gerry Kataoka "For the born traveler, traveling is a besetting vice. Like other vices, it is imperious, demanding its victim's time, money, energy and the sacrifice of comfort."
- Aldous Huxley (1894-1963), English author of "Brave New World" "I also travel to learn and believe that we should travel not to escape life, but so life does not escape us.! by Sara Chukoian on Ocean Hero Enric Sala.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take...but by those moments which
take away our breath." - Maya Angelou
"Travel has to be a free flow, an improvised voyage to discovery. Getting into a routine kills serendipity, and travel becomes too much like work. You have to budget time for random wandering." by legend National Geographic photographer, Steve McCurry. "Treat everyday like there will be no tomorrow." by my friend Dani. "Travel is deeply purposeful: As we move through space, we are changed, we discover, and we are transformed."- Peter Whitfield, English author, from "Travel, A Literary History" (2011) "From the remotest times, it has only been through travel that human understanding improves and culture spreads."
Thomas Nugent(circa 1700-1772), author of "The Grand Tour" (1749)

"Chocolate is the main purpose of turn down service." from The Frugal Flyer "What I find is that you can do almost anything or go almost anywhere, if you're not in a hurry."-Paul Theroux, American author, from "The Happy Isles of Oceania" (1992)

Non travel quote, but I like it: "Champagne is a bit of poetry in a bottle" by Robert Louis Stevenson. “One always begins to forgive a place as soon as it’s left behind.”
Charles Dickens (1812-70), English author and social critic.
“Delay and dirt are the realities of the most rewarding travel.”
Paul Theroux, American author of many novels and travel books, from “Ghost Train to the Eastern Star
“We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.”
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894), Scottish novelist best known for the book “Treasure Island”

"The worst thing about being a tourist is having other tourists recognize you as a tourist." <cite>Russell Baker</cite>
<cite></cite>

<cite>"I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them." <cite>Mark Twain</cite>
</cite> "Bizarre travel plans are dancing lessons from God." K<cite>urt Vonnegut</cite>
<cite></cite>

<cite>"Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else." <cite>Lawrence Block</cite>
<cite></cite>
<cite>"Travel is the name of a modern disease which became rampant in themid-fifties and is still spreading. The disease – its scientific name is travelitis furiosus – is carried by a germ called prosperity." <cite>George Mikes</cite>
<cite></cite>
<cite></cite> October 16, 2014: "The Giants win the pennant, again!" Later: WORLD Champions!!!!
</cite></cite> <cite><cite>"They should tell you when you're born: Have a suitcase heart, be ready to travel.". - Gabrielle Zevin, American screenwriter ("Conversations ...
</cite></cite>"There is no end to the process of getting your life back - eventually you have to come down from the mountain. And as any good mountain climber knows, the real success is surviving the descent."
- Alison Wright, photojournalist and author, from "Learning to Breathe: One Woman's Journey of Spirit and Survival" (2008)

"Social critics who proclaim that 'real travel' is dead are just too lazy to look
for complexities within an interconnected planet."
Rolf Potts, American journalist and author, from "Marco Polo Didn't Go There" (2008)
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.Albert Camus (I sent this last year).<span>
<span>"A journey is best measured in friends, not miles", Tim Cahill. I particularly like this one, as I like the "friend" list to grow over the years. <span>"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page"-St. Augustine <span>"For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"-Leonardo de Vinci (did they have airplanes then?) <span>"A journey is a person itself, no two are alike. All plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle, that we do not take a trip; the trip takes us"-John Steinbeck <span>"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware"-Martin Buber <span>It was that erstwhile, lovable underdog, George Costanza on Seinfeld, who said that he loved a good quote. Well, for me, I love the travel quotes. I hope you do too! Feel free to add your own, or send me a few. Thanks to those who contributed. Have an enjoyable year quoting and traveling! And always remember: "At Christmas, all roads lead home" -Marjorie Holmes.

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb