Hi-ho-hi-ho, a-hiking we will go!


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 33.2558, -116.374

First day in the desert so we decided to do one of the easier trails. The guides at the Park Visitor Center recommended Palm Canyon, described as a "moderate" 3 mile round trip. Or 6 miles if you decided not to pay the $8 car park charge and walked all the way from the Visitor Center. So which did we three do? Yep. 6 miles in broiling sun. Of course, Alan and I are possibly not the world's keenest hikers but this was a fantastic experience. Walking through the acres of cactuses and tall ocotillo shrubs with their scarlet flowers, we went deeper and deeper into the canyon. After a couple of hours we reached the palm oasis which has grown up around a mountain spring. Apparently there are flash floods here in the summer when the temperature gets up to around 52 degrees C! Not quite that hot for us but well over 30 which was plenty hot enough. One useful tip for hikers. Always travel with a Chinese cook in the group - when we stopped for lunch Alan produced from his rucksack tortillas, salami, cheese, ham and tomatoes. Antony and I were pretty impressed! It took another two hours to get down again. It may have been a “moderate” hike but for a librarian and office manager of uncertain years it was quite an achievement. Antony, being younger and a fit karate expert was practically skipping up and down the trail.... Delighted to find that our Oasis Motel boasts a swimming pool and a Jacuzzi – bliss!

We had earned a good dinner so went to Pablito's, one of Borrego Springs premier restaurants (there are three....). Excellent Mexican food. Alan says I have to tell you that we had chimichangas, roast pork, flautas for dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

OcotilloOcotillo
Ocotillo

Tall, slim and elegant, ditto the plant
FlautasFlautas
Flautas

Flour Tortillas stuffed with minced beef and rolled up. Served with rice, refried beans and guacamole.
ChimichangaChimichanga
Chimichanga

Minced beef wrapped in a flour tortilla, deep fried and served with rice, refried beans and sour cream.
CarnitasCarnitas
Carnitas

Shredded pieces of roast pork served with, yes, rice and refriend beans, with some salad and corn tortillas. All delicious
Pudding time !Pudding time !
Pudding time !

ice cream taco... very sweet.


28th March 2013

It's interesting how you try to make all this sound like hard work... Not totally convinced by this tack...
28th March 2013

Glad you made it back. But you made it WHERE, exactly? Near, middle or far distance?
28th March 2013

zeker welverdiend! wat een prestatie! ;-)
28th March 2013

Basically a copy of our spring rolls
28th March 2013

But you're stuffed if you don't like refried beans

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb