California Dreamin....Big Sur


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Big Sur
October 19th 2011
Published: October 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On the way to Big SurOn the way to Big SurOn the way to Big Sur

Roses by the roadside, Big Sur
California Dreamin…….Big Sur
We have been driving this coast for 2.5 weeks and it continues to entertain us with its grace and style. The whole coast has been beautiful, and when you add in the fact that there is sun, warm temperatures, beautiful flowers and birds everywhere; well you just cannot beat California!
We arrived in Big Sur after a long drive from Santa Rosa. We had a reservation for Treebones.com resort. You can reserve Yurts or campsites there. They modeled themselves after the Oregon State Parks that have Yurts, just like the ones we stayed in at the beginning of our trip. We knew the weather would be good so we opt to put our own tent up. What a great idea as we were blessed with the best site on the property. The first afternoon we arrived, we were busy right up until sunset making camp. We stopped to take in the sun set. Once it went down the whole sky lit up purple, orange, red and yellow that seemed to go on forever. When that faded, the dark sky lit up with stars and performed for the rest of the night.
This campground was quite remote with no
ZinniaZinniaZinnia

Zinnia by the roadside in Big Sur
phone service. However, there is a lodge there for showers, breakfast and for anytime one wants to come in, sit by a fire, read a book or whatever. They have a full menu of great food for lunch and dinner along with an organic garden that has hummingbirds darting all over and much of what is served in the restaurant comes from the garden. The gardeners compost and recycle everything. There is also a sizeable sushi bar. We did not visit it as we like our fish cooked, however, it was well attended by many. During the day it was quiet as there was hiking, kayaking and Hearst Castle was 30 minutes away.
The first day we were there we went walking the beach and met the fisherman you see in the photos. He was quite dedicated and when we came upon him at the beach he was on his hands and knees digging for surf fleas that he would use for bait. He had quite a few in his bucket in no time at all and caught an ocean perch right before our eyes. We then returned to the lodge to hang at the pool and relax.
The following
Big SurBig SurBig Sur

Walking the beach in the morning
day we went to visit San Simeon, Hearst Castle. We spent most of the day there and only saw part of it. It is an incredible castle that reminded us of those we had seen coming down the Rhine in Germany. The story of William Randolf Hearst, his life, wife and children was quite intriguing as well.
That night we had high winds. Paul was up in the night hammering in more spikes to secure the tent. We thought our tent might blow away, but come morning it was still standing.
We enjoyed the morning while packing up and preparing to move on to Morro Bay. The temperatures were in the mid-80’s and the wind was warm. They call it Indian summer and everyone we met said that summers do not perform well in Big Sur. The hot temperatures in-land pull in the fog, but every Sept/Oct/Nov are beautiful and summer like.
I could go on forever about some of the interesting people we met and saw walking, biking or pushing grocery carts through the canyons, but will end with Big Sur Right here. There are lots of photos attached so make sure you scroll way down.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Big SurBig Sur
Big Sur

Our tent site
Big SurBig Sur
Big Sur

Our view from our campsite
Big SurBig Sur
Big Sur

Fisherman on our beach
Big SurBig Sur
Big Sur

Sunset from our campsite
Big SurBig Sur
Big Sur

The sky after sunset


25th October 2011

Beautiful
Photos are absolutely beautiful. A wonderful place!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb