Day 9 - Monterey to Cambria


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Big Sur
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Up and out early this morning (for a change) - even stooped to Macca's for breakfast before visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

By Asian standards (Singapore & Bangkok) this aquarium is on the small side, but for what it lacked in size, it more than made up for in its unique exhibits. They have a Sea Otter tank and we managed to catch feeding time - well, talk about CUTE!!! These little guys are absolutely gorgeous! They lay floating on their backs and use their hands to get the fish out of it's shell. When the trainer then gave them some food lodged inside a hunk of ice, the Otter whacked the hell out of it on the side of pane of glass as hard as he could to break it apart. None of this chewing on it or waiting for the ice to melt like a polar bear would. Smart!

They also had this absolutely MASSIVE tank full of Tuna, mackerel, a hammerhead shark, Mahi Mahi & a lone Moonfish. Steve was getting really antsy watching those guys zipping across in front of him - all he could say was, "I bet they'd put up a great fight on the end of my line!"

After a couple of hours there & finally seeing some wild sea otters out in the harbour off the aquarium, we had a very quick look around the famed Cannery Row before hitting the Highway again toward Cambria which is South on Highway 1.

Man, I knew this road would be winding, but this was comparable to the trip up to Kuaotunu without the straight bits. The scenery was fantastic and we took heaps and heaps of photos, but we were very glad to get to Cambria late afternoon, just in time to watch the sun set over the ocean.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.041s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb