If You See Oppenheimer


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Berkeley
August 1st 2023
Published: July 29th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Everyone knows Dr. Oppenheimer taught Physics at UC Berkeley. Several scenes in the movie were part of my own experience at Berkeley. Photo 1: Edwards Field is a track only facility on the west side of the campus. I remember attending track meets, playing soccer on that field and running the steps during a PE class. Several world records were set there. Photo 2: This archway over Strawberry Creek separated the Faculty Club from the science area of campus. I walked through this archway almost every day that classes were held. Photo 3: LeConte* Hall, home to the physics department, also housed many of Berkeley's other famous profs, such as Nobel winners Saul Perlmutter, George Smoot III, Charles Townes, Luis Alvarez, Donald Glaser, Reinhard Genzel, Owen Chamberlain, Ernest Lawrence. You probably recognize some of the names. And it turns out Dr. Edward Teller often taught "bonehead" physics to the non-science majors. Of course, his classroom was packed for each lecture, since everyone wanted to see one of Berkeley's most famous professors. Photo 4: Dr. Oppenheimer's old office in LeConte Hall. * Note: the LeConte name has been since removed due to LeConte's outspoken racist views and his slave-holding family. Photo 5: Small classroom where many of the physics labs were held. Notice the desk for lefties? It could have been mine back in the 60's. I can't wait to see the movie, certainly a stroll down memory lane.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 18; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0932s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb