Farewell New Zealand, Hello California!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Auburn
June 1st 2008
Published: June 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our last week in Auckland held a special adventure - John and Evelyn took us sailing on their boat, the Tropic Bird, from Thursday until Sunday. Our sea legs weren't in fine form so it was fortunate that there was hardly enough wind to raise the sails on our journey. The waves were small and rolling, the sun was shining, and we sailed out to visit the islands of Tiri Tiri, Rangitoto, and Motutapu.

Kirby got to row the dingy ashore for hikes we took on the islands. Tiri Tiri island is a bird sanctuary where we were able to watch and hear numerous birds up close and personal, including Bell Birds, Tui's, Pukeko's, Takahe's, Saddle Birds, Parrots and more. We took our film camera so we don't have any to share here for you now.

After a wonderful weekend of sailing, we wrapped up our adventures in New Zealand by liquidating our belongings and listing them on auction sites. It was a few days of laundry, cleaning, and organizing. We were pleased to hand Tui over to a new family expecting their fourth child, who we believe will treat him right. Our camping gear was a bit out
Clean FreakClean FreakClean Freak

Kirby cleans the van very thoroughly before selling, he even took out all the seats!
of season but we managed to sell everything off but our bedding which we donated to a neighborhood hospice.

Then Wednesday May 21st, we flew back in time, literally. We departed Auckland at 5:55 pm, flew 12 hours, and arrived in Los Angeles airport at 10:40 a.m. on the same day. We cleared customs and flew to San Fransisco where we met Riley, Shannon and Zeffren (Kirby's brother and his family). They took us to Pier 39 where we watched seals, took in the sights, and had supper.

That night we drove to Auburn, California where they live and where we would spend the next six days as auntie and uncle to Zeffren (2 1/2 years old now). Zeffren showed us how to play drums, and we danced, read books, played in the sand box, made cookies, played with play dough, and watched lizards.

We all went to a place called Sky High which has trampoline rooms the size of basketball courts with trampolines even on the sides as walls to jump off. Unfortunately, on the way we got into a car accident and were rear-ended. The Kia got its nose stuck right under the back bumper
Wanna Buy Our Stuff?Wanna Buy Our Stuff?Wanna Buy Our Stuff?

Can you believe all of this great stuff only went for $80? Someone got a great deal!
of Riley's Astro van and we were stuck together like glue. No one was injured, even the Astro van had only minor scratches but the Kia was a write-off!!!

Other highlights were meeting some of Riley and Shannon's friends, watching a movie projected outside in their backyard, going to Riley's church, and going to a Memorial Day concert in the park (Riley performed, and boy is he funny!). The time went too quickly and soon it was time to pack up and head back to the airport and Canada.

We arrived in Edmonton on Tuesday, May 27th, and greeted with a smile and hugs from Kirby's mom. Soon it will be a whole new adventure in the metropolis of Dapp, AB, and a tour to see friends and family across Alberta and Saskatchewan... the blog continues!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Auckland AirportAuckland Airport
Auckland Airport

It's really time to go now. Do you like our new luggage? It holds A LOT!
San Fransisco Pier 39San Fransisco Pier 39
San Fransisco Pier 39

Our first stop in San Fran.
Zeffren Takes to the StageZeffren Takes to the Stage
Zeffren Takes to the Stage

Next show 7 pm, hosted by Zeffren. He must take after his dad and uncle Kirby.
CarouselCarousel
Carousel

At Pier 39. Zeffren and Shannon went for a ride.
Sweet TeethSweet Teeth
Sweet Teeth

Riley, Kirby and Zeffren pick out some sweet treats for the drive to Auburn.
CCCCCrunch!CCCCCrunch!
CCCCCrunch!

The mighty Astro conquers the Kia.
Sky HighSky High
Sky High

The trampoline adventure begins. Kirby came home with a few raspberry marks on his elbow and feet from having more height than grace!
Bedtime Stories with Uncle KirbyBedtime Stories with Uncle Kirby
Bedtime Stories with Uncle Kirby

Zeffren couldn't get enough of Uncle Kirby. He asked about him when he woke up, played with him all day, and hugged him each night. Uncle and auntie had some jet lag so weren't always up at the crack of dawn to play.
Puddle JumpingPuddle Jumping
Puddle Jumping

At the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. We got some really juicy strawberries and cherries!
Playdough Fun With AuntiePlaydough Fun With Auntie
Playdough Fun With Auntie

Did anyone notice she chopped about 12 inches off her hair?
Welcome to the U.S.A.Welcome to the U.S.A.
Welcome to the U.S.A.

Head to toe, this lady's all done up for Memorial Day.


7th June 2008

We dream of holidays like these!!!
Each entry of this whole trip has been so adventure packed and so amazing! We learned alot about New Zealand these last few months, some of your pics are just unbelievable - and enjoyed sharing a little of your whole experience. Now that you're so good at weekly (or so) updates, how about keeping us "in the know" of your Canadian adventures too - it's even better than getting an update from your Mom. Looking forward to seeing you soon, we hope.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb