Petit Jean State Park...Day 1–Travel day and family connections!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arkansas » Morrilton
June 21st 2018
Published: June 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Mufasa in camp!Mufasa in camp!Mufasa in camp!

We even put the rug out!
We had a lot of rain through the night last night, and we were surprised that it really wasn’t very humid this morning. We pulled out of camp at 9:00.



We were truly amazed at what a good state of repair I-40 W is in. I think we were both sort of dreading the drive especially west of Memphis heading towards Little Rock. In the past it has been really bumpy. Again—a reminder to all of our non-RVing friends...you are essentially driving your house down the road. Therefore any bumps in the road at all bounces your dishes, silverware, and anything else you might have around. A REALLY rough road can cause your jaws to clench because of the jingles and rattles. Trust me when I say smoother is definitely better!



Also, we were surprised as we usually are once we cross the Mississippi River how much flatter the land lays. We were definitely in Delta country for a good bit of our ride today. Lots of rice and cotton fields...and a big sky!



We stopped in North Little Rock for the ubiquitous Wally World visit for a few items we felt
Laura and Tom arriveLaura and Tom arriveLaura and Tom arrive

They like the back-in sites the best.
we might not survive without, and we also took on fuel at this stop. Once we left the Little Rock area we were quite suddenly out of delta and into rolling hills. At this point we were doing nonstop texting back and forth with Laura as we both neared our destination, Petit Jean State Park. John and I pulled into our campsite at 1:45 and Laura and Tom were 15 minutes behind us at 2:00.



What fun it was to see our “kids” again...if adults in their 50’s can be called kids! This is a VERY nice campground and we were delighted to find that even though it is a state park, we had full hookups. For the uninitiated it means that we won’t have to be so careful taking showers and such because we have a dump connection on our site.



The park is very well maintained. The campground has large sites that are kinda, sorta level. Good electricity and that all important (when you are staying a few days) sewer drop. Life is good.



Laura did our “Happy Birthday” celebrations this afternoon...cute and appropriate gifts and lots of laughs.
Late birthday!Late birthday!Late birthday!

Got a “RV there yet” license cover! Yay me! Matches my shirt!




I prepared our meal for this evening...salmon cakes (your recipe Miss Barb), homemade cole slaw, vegetable salad, and broccoli with tiny ice cream drumsticks for dessert (thanks for the idea Pat R). It was delicious if I do say so myself, and I definitely do!



After supper we took a walk around our section of the campground and then John and I pleaded tiredness and we headed to bed. We have had a great day.





We drove 151 Miles today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Favorite older daughter...Favorite older daughter...
Favorite older daughter...

Laura Shade...she LOVES to camp! Chip off the old block?
Jihn and SheebaSue Jihn and SheebaSue
Jihn and SheebaSue

Favorite Granddog for sure!
EARLY Birthday presentEARLY Birthday present
EARLY Birthday present

A combination bug zapper and table lamp lantern. How clever is that?


26th June 2018

Petit Jean S P
Glad you are enjoying your stay at MY park. They should leave the petit part off though. Enjoying your blog!
28th June 2018

Happy Birthday!!
Just catching up and didn't want to forget to wish you a belated Happy Birthday..

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb