Tuweep - Toroweap


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
January 20th 2008
Published: January 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


A trip to Tuweep is not for everyone, but for those who do not mind driving for 2.5 hours on a washboard dirt, tire ripping, primitive road to the very edge of the Grand Canyon, Tuweep is magnificent! Although think again if you have a fear of heights. Toroweap Point is the lowest viewpoint in the Grand Canyon, but the 3000' sheer unfenced cliff gives even those with no fear of heights an uneasy feeling when they step out to the edge to see the Colorado River flowing below.

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is remote, but the Tuweep section of the North Rim is 2.5 hours from any kind of civilization. Situated at 4550' the point rarely gets snow. Unlike the North Rim, the road to Tuweep is open year round, but may be impassible if wet. Call the ranger station, before travel, to obtain road conditions: 928-638-7875.

Don't expect anything as fancy as a ranger booth where fees are accessed when entering Tuweep. There is a year-round ranger station, about thirty minutes from the rim, equipped with an emergency phone. Hiking information and backcountry permits can be obtained at the station, but it is better to obtain a permit before venturing into the area. A permit is not needed to hike or to camp in the Toroweap Campground.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0889s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb