Color Me Estatic


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
November 21st 2009
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Barrio ViejoBarrio ViejoBarrio Viejo

I talked quite a while with an architect from this firm. He was very passionate about the work that's being done in the barrio. It was fun to hear his perspective.
Geo: 32.2215, -110.97

Tucson's Barrio Historico is my kind of place. Color everywhere. Lavender. Blue. Fuchia. Acid Green. Orange. Acid green and brilliant blue TOGETHER, same house. And just in case the house colors aren't enough--add snappy bougainvillea and cactus.
It's maybe a 6 square block area that used to be all Mexican-American and still retains that great Mexican feel with flat roofed adobe homes and roofs made of saguaro ribs and packed earth that keep out the intense desert sun.
It's quiet streets and vibrant colors present a dichotomy though. The one, neglect--the other, a fiesta.
Don't expect tourist heaven if you go there. They couldn't care less if there's a tourist in sight. It's a calm, quiet residential area of private homes with a smattering of businesses--an architect, an artist, and on the corner nearest Tucson's central business district, Un Momento--a popular lunch place for locals.
Having been ignored and neglected by the city may have actually worked in it's favor, however. Too far from central Tucson for walk-bys, it's laid there deteriorating until folks started waking up to it's historical significance and simply cool possibilities. Okay, a chunk of it got bulldozed to make room for a civic center, but there's still a lot left to love.
It's much more expensive to restore these adobe buildings than to flatten them and start over, so when you see individuals putting this much love and $$$ into an area, it's heart warming.
I LOVED the colors. Color like that is a celebration of life! You walk down the street and just start smiling for nothing because of all the crazy, kooky colors. Like maybe skipping would be best.
Yea, that's it. You skip down the street...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Before RestorationBefore Restoration
Before Restoration

Notice the colorful window trim?
Ohhh! Very Pink!!Ohhh! Very Pink!!
Ohhh! Very Pink!!

You notice the bright pink flowers in front of the window. This is not a shy person's abode.
Lavender! Orange! Blue! Yes!!Lavender! Orange! Blue! Yes!!
Lavender! Orange! Blue! Yes!!

You should've seen the house.
For John ClaytonFor John Clayton
For John Clayton

We thought you'd admire his collection, John. :) Notice he's brushing his teeth as he's driving? From North Dakota even.
Me at Un MomentoMe at Un Momento
Me at Un Momento

Take a minute for Un Momento. Your taste buds will celebrate.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb