The Pink Jeep Tour


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
August 1st 2010
Published: August 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Pink Jeep TourPink Jeep TourPink Jeep Tour

The Pink Jeep on the 747-shaped rock
The highlight of Sedona for us was the Pink Jeep Tour. This went up onto the rocks, scaling some rather precarious slopes and boulders. The rain spoilt the views somewhat, but it did add to the general driving experience. The guide / driver pointed out lots of interesting shaped rocks, including those that looked like a 747, an eagle, an elephant, a rabbit, a movie camera and a princess. The adults found some of them quite hard to see, but the kids obviously had a bit more of an open mind as they were pretty convinced about all of them.

Our guide was excellent and kept us all entertained, however it was when she got her hands on my camera that she really came into her own. She had us all posing for various shots from various angles. She had all the kids performing for various action shots. Thanks to here we had some great shots, despite the rain.

The combination of the red dust that was everywhere and the rain meant that we ended up getting very dirty. It was a serious mistake wearing anything white as it would almost certainly end up orange. The red ground, rocks
Pink Jeep TourPink Jeep TourPink Jeep Tour

Wet views from the Sedona hills
and dust, along with the level of vegetation really reminded us of the Red Centre of Australia (see The Slow Pace of The Mature Peoples' Tour).

Once the Pink Jeep Tour was over, we spent a little time looking around the real Sedona (as opposed to Oak Creek), which was a lot busier and with a lot of the more tourist-oriented shops, and then we set about driving to the Grand Canyon.

The drive was largely uneventful, although there were some very windy and steep roads on the way north of Sedona and some excellent views.

We arrived at our hotel in Tusayan, which is close to the Grand Canyon, quite late in the day but I did have time to go for a run whilst everyone else was getting unpacked (again) and chilling for a while. Our hotel was apparently one mile from the Grand Canyon so I thought I would run there and run along the rim for a while.

After setting off, I soon discovered that that was clearly not the case. Tusayan and is two miles from the entrance to the National Park and the entrance is four miles from the canyon itself. I had to turn around after
Pink Jeep TourPink Jeep TourPink Jeep Tour

Wet views from the Sedona hills
a while and make do with going through some nearby woods to make it something different to the roadside.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Pink Jeep TourPink Jeep Tour
Pink Jeep Tour

Spot the eagle-shaped rock


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb