Day 21 - Sedona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
October 5th 2008
Published: October 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Did some Tiki touring around the countryside of Sedona this morning before hitching up with our pre-booked Pink Jeep Tour - an off road 4X4 trip on the Broken Arrow Trail into the heart of the red rocks. Apparently this is the "must do" activity in Sedona.

We had a really exhilarating, bumpy ride up and down some pretty steep bits of rock and dirt roads for about two hours, which was really, really cool fun. The kids got to sit right at the back of our chauffer driven Pink Jeep, so they got the best rollercoaster ride of all. Our driver, Bob was a wealth of knowledge and full of facts when it came to the local geography, flora, fauna and geology and we all learnt a lot about the formation of rocks and canyons. All in all it was a fantastic tour to do.

Afterwards we drove out of town about 10 minutes up this gorge and had a picnic lunch beside the Oak Creek Canyon River - simply beautiful. Steve kindly volunteered to be the first to get in the river and go down the "Slide Rock" the area is famed for. Apparently it was absolutely FREEZING in the river - shame I had to be the one to watch the bags. The kids even chickened out after dipping their toes and seeing dad turn blue and struggle to get his breath. Funny how he gets sucked into these things.....

Thought by then that we'd better get out and do another "must do" Sedona activity - hiking (I'm sounding more and more American everyday). Found a "trail" and "hiked" into the rocky canyon for about an hour before deciding we'd done enough and it was time for dinner. Probably wouldn't bother next time...

Had Nacho's and Ribs for dinner at an outside cafe watching the sun set over the red rocks. Simply gorgeous!!!

For us, Sedona has been a highlight. It is very laidback and the views in every direction are just awesome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb