The Glass Desert


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Phoenix
April 5th 2009
Published: April 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

MARCH ANSWERS
Congrats to: Tara C, Cheryl, Dixchief, Dr. Tom M., Liz M, Matt M, Byrnesie, Leda, Steve K, Connie K and others who have correctly answered one or more of the RQs (Taffle Questions) for Win the USA.

Answers are:

RQ1: Name the writer (or the book) with which the following quote is associated: "Only...connect".
A: E.M. Foster
"Only connect! That was the whole of her sermon. Only connect
the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love
will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer." From HOWARD'S END
Foster, who also wrote PASSAGE TO INDIA and THE GOOD SOLDIER was definitely "Old School", born in the British Raj era. I wonder what he may have though to hear his humanistic "only connect" phrase used in connection with cyber connection.

RQ2: What is the name of the blind warrior king in the Hindu epic "Bhagavad Gita".
A:Dhritarashtra. Other spellings accepted: we're talking Sanskrit here.
The Gita is a beautiful book, viewed by many as a metaphor for the spiritual battles involve in being human. Gandhi admired the book, as did, unfortunately, Himmler. If you are thirty and haven't read the Gita yet, you should. Pay special attention to book 5.

RQ3: What city in California has a name similar to one in New Mexico where spelunkers are welcome?
A:Carlsbad, of course.
RQ4: What is a "replog"
RQ5: What is a "plog"
RQ6: What is a "blug"(Note: these are words I invented. Their definitions can be found in the March 12 blog)
RQ7: What is the nearest city to “Casa Bella”?
A: This ended up to be a trickier question than I anticipated. Tara and Leda almost drove thenselves nuts over it. So, any attempt gets an entry.
A: RQ8: Name three breeds of dogs that are used in USA guide dog schools
Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers, to begin with. Poodles and Boxers are also used, And...
RQ9: Describe the flag of Morocco
A:Outline of a Green Star on a red background.
RQ10: Name the fearsome creature in Celtic mythology, the darkwet dog carved by Michael A: Quirke into the figure of a hooded hawk headed human.
The Daracoo


APRIL QUESTIONS
Kate and I are going to Romania this summer to teach O&M/VI with the "Light Into Europe Foundation"
So:
RQ11: What historical character is "Dracula" based on?
RQ12: Name the Romanian who wrote the beautiful "Romanian Rhapsody"


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb